Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f172/)
-   -   best sausage recipes? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f172/best-sausage-recipes-213670/)

strat_thru_marshall 12-25-2010 07:29 PM

best sausage recipes?
 
I just got a meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachment for the stand mixer for Christmas, so I ask of all you:

What are you best sausage recipes? I want to try some Italian sausage, Bratwurst, and any other fresh sausage recipes!!

I've never made my own sausage, so I am going to start searching online for some recipes but I would also love to hear from my fellow brewers who have experience with this if you're willing to share.

Thanks!

JohnTheBrewist 12-26-2010 06:37 PM

Here is an authentic German recipe for cooked bratwurst. It was translated from my wife's grandmother's cooking school recipes from 1909. You can increase the recipe size in equal amounts to any size you wish.

3.5 lbs pork (be sure there's some fat on it)
1.5 lbs veal
5 eggs
2 tbs salt (I use kosher salt)
1 tbs black pepper
1.5 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp coriander
.5 cup grated onion
1 cup ice water

Grind all meat through the finest plate on your meat grinder, then mix in all of the other ingredients. For the best results, place the mixture in the refrigerator for a while (up tp 8 hrs) then put through the grinder again (or for smoother texture put in the food processor until emulsified, but you will need to add a little more crushed ice to keep it cold) and stuff into casings.

Place the sausages in hot water (but do not cook) until they become firm, then let rest in warm milk for a while (I do this for about 20 mins). Cook until browned with some sliced onions and serve.

Moose

flowerysong 01-03-2011 04:31 PM

Christmas sausage:
Quote:

1.5 lb. bacon
3.5 lb. pork shoulder

1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 nutmeg, ground
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. allspice berries, ground
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tbsp. thyme
1 tsp. ground Sichuan pepper
1 c. cyser
Lamb sausage:
Quote:

5 lb. lamb

1 c. finely chopped onion
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
3 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. kosher salt
0.33 c. chopped fresh mint
1 c. water

android 01-03-2011 06:30 PM

just FYI, i have heard that the 'stuffing' part of the KA attachment really sucks to use. i can attest that the grinder works great, not so much on the stuffer. and, do yourself a favor and get the book 'charcuterie', great read and has tons of good recipes in it.

dataz722 01-03-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by android (Post 2519883)
just FYI, i have heard that the 'stuffing' part of the KA attachment really sucks to use. i can attest that the grinder works great, not so much on the stuffer. and, do yourself a favor and get the book 'charcuterie', great read and has tons of good recipes in it.

+1 billion on both of those.

Steelers77 01-03-2011 07:00 PM

I was given Rytek Kutas' book a few years back and its pretty good. I don't agree with everything he promotes but I have used multiple recipes from the book and they have turned out great. I think his brat recipe and Italian sauage recipe are both good, need to adjust the Italian recipe a little but it was very similar to the one passed down to me from my Father.
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-...4084680&sr=8-1

JohnTheBrewist 01-03-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by android (Post 2519883)
just FYI, i have heard that the 'stuffing' part of the KA attachment really sucks to use. i can attest that the grinder works great, not so much on the stuffer. and, do yourself a favor and get the book 'charcuterie', great read and has tons of good recipes in it.

+1. I still use my KA grinder, but the stuffing attachment is just too slow. Although, for an extra ten bucks it gets you into stuffing, so for someone on a very limited budget I'd still recommend it.

dataz722 01-03-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelers77 (Post 2519987)
I was given Rytek Kutas' book a few years back and its pretty good. I don't agree with everything he promotes but I have used multiple recipes from the book and they have turned out great. I think his brat recipe and Italian sauage recipe are both good, need to adjust the Italian recipe a little but it was very similar to the one passed down to me from my Father.
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-...4084680&sr=8-1

That is on my list of books to get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MenkeMoose (Post 2520014)
+1. I still use my KA grinder, but the stuffing attachment is just too slow. Although, for an extra ten bucks it gets you into stuffing, so for someone on a very limited budget I'd still recommend it.

I couldn't even get it to do that. I would have been better off just using a funnel and stuffing it by hand.

novafire 01-03-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataz722 (Post 2520069)
That is on my list of books to get.



I couldn't even get it to do that. I would have been better off just using a funnel and stuffing it by hand.

What kind of stuffer do people recommend?

dataz722 01-03-2011 07:32 PM

I will probably be getting this one. You need to be careful with it though since it is plastic gears, but for the price I can deal with that.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.