Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Best gas grill for the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #31
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well, this all has me thinking I need to replace my grill. I got rid of it, because it was too big for my tiny patio unit, attracted mice and rats, and got in the way when I was brewing. Plus, I now have a back up propane tank for my burner. I need to look into a small gas or maybe charcoal unit soon.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
podz
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
Gas cooks...no arguing about that, but absolutely no flavor imparted from it.
Sure there is taste imparted if you use lava and don't clean your grill. Most gas grills these days aren't built to accomodate lava, so I modify them myself when I first put them together that they will accomodate lava. They have also started making them with crazy cooking surfaces like enamel and cast-iron. I don't buy those - must be stainless-steel.

My lava rocks are full of all sorts of marinades, olive oil, spices, fat drippings, bread crumbs, onions, etc. The cooking surface, I rarely clean with a brush or burning. I grill every single day from May til October, rain or shine. I might hit the grates with a brush once every two weeks or so. I don't even wash my tongs, just toss them back inside the grill after cooking and close the lid.

I've been grilling for 30 years now, had several charcoal grills before but I vastly prefer gas. I can come home from the store, flip the lid open and start the gas before even carrying the food into the kitchen. I can be serving dinner in 20 minutes if I want.

Stuff like ribs and chicken flame up a lot. I keep a full water bottle with a squirt top handy to shoot out the flareups - sometimes once or twice per minute. Try that with a charcoal grill and the coals will die before you're finished cooking.

All that said, the only way to get a Weber gas grill that meets my requirements is to spend at least a grand. No way. I buy grills that cost a tenth of that, three burner, use them for 3 years and then get rid of them and get a new one.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #33
gwapogorilla

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by podz View Post
Sure there is taste imparted if you use lava and don't clean your grill.
Yeah, I've been there. But, I for one keep a pretty clean grill. I can't stand it when you open the grill lid...and the grates have hair growing on them. YUCK!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #34
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Gas cooks...no arguing about that, but absolutely no flavor imparted from it.
If I want smoked food I'll use my WSM.

Once the charcoal is burned down to white ash, where it should be for cooking, it's not giving off any flavor of its own. The "Flavorizer" bars in the Webers to a bang-up job of vaporizing those drippings like what happens when the drippings fall on charcoal.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #35
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had an E-310 for the last 6 years and it still ignites at first push of the original igniter. Thing is built like a tank...It's moved cross country twice with me.

Hailstorm Brewing Co
www.facebook.com/hailstormbrewingco

Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #36
tarawa
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Yes - Weber E320! Will last you forever. I love mine...
I agree. I never had to deal with Weber, but hear that their customer service is second to none.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #37
tarawa
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have been using my Big Easy lately for a lot of things.

burger.jpg  

Old 07-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #38
ineedit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Like most people I've had a number of gas grills over the years. We had planned a big cookout for my sons 1st birthday. Since the old charboil had seen better days I broke down and spent twice the money for a new weber.

I used that grill for the next twelve years. I only decided to replace it because of a deal I ran across for a larger weber.

BTW I ordered new buners of the 12 year old grill and now my brother in law has it. That was 3 years ago.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #39
GoldDiggingBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Yes, I have some thoughts....gas sucks! Sorry so blunt, but I must be honest. I have had probably no less than 25 grills over the years....and gas had the worst flavor of them all. So, I suggest going 1 of two ways....
Spot on. I agree. I am a big BBQ guy. In fact, I BBQ about 4-5x every week. That's right! 70% of my meals are cooked on the grill or BBQ using charcoal/wood.

I used to love gas in apt living, but once I went old school, I never went back to gas. Gas is only good for grilling burgers and steaks. I can get that same flavor on my stovetop. With charcoal/wood, you can BBQ low and slow. With gas, you really can't cook low and slow because the gas grills suck up more moisture and the food usually comes out dryer.

Charcoal grills are usually eyesores, so if you're a image freak, stainless is your best bet. But to me, it would be just furniture. If you're not into the veneer, then I suggest the Char-Griller 5050. That's right, Char-Griller. I personally use the Char-griller for all my exterior cooking. They make fantastic grills, aimed at the home-BBQer.

They started out with the basic cylinder model, with a modular fire box attachment. They have a new product, and it's currently being sold at Lowes. The 5050! This one has the gas and the BBQ. So you have everything you need to really experiment with low and slow or have a quick grill on gas. As a home brewer, you might find BBQ'ing as fun as brewing, and just as time-consuming. Mild warning with C-Grillers: they are screwed together pretty simply, so they may appear not as sturdy if not properly tightened up, making it feel wobbly. Don't be fooled. A good ratchet will tighten it up. They make great products for entry/intermediate level, and they sell mods/parts for all their grills.

I am on my second Char-griller spanning 10 years, and I still have the same firebox from day 1.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #40
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Yes, I have some thoughts....gas sucks! Sorry so blunt, but I must be honest. I have had probably no less than 25 grills over the years....and gas had the worst flavor of them all. So, I suggest going 1 of two ways....

1)Charcoal...Weber Smokey mountain, hands down! You can grill and/or smoke on it. And everyone I had talked too that has one, simply will not part with them. They last forever too.

2)pellet grill...Traeger Junior, best entry level pellet grill. I have a huge Yoder YS640 pellet grill(and love it!), but I bought the Traeger Junior for my dad for his birthday, alone with an Ortech digital control. I got both off of Ebay for $400 combined, INCLUDING SHIPPING!
That little Traeger puts out the same exact flavors my big Yoder does...it is very impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDiggingBrewer View Post
Spot on. I agree. I am a big BBQ guy. In fact, I BBQ about 4-5x every week. That's right! 70% of my meals are cooked on the grill or BBQ using charcoal/wood.

I used to love gas in apt living, but once I went old school, I never went back to gas. Gas is only good for grilling burgers and steaks. I can get that same flavor on my stovetop. With charcoal/wood, you can BBQ low and slow. With gas, you really can't cook low and slow because the gas grills suck up more moisture and the food usually comes out dryer.

Charcoal grills are usually eyesores, so if you're a image freak, stainless is your best bet. But to me, it would be just furniture. If you're not into the veneer, then I suggest the Char-Griller 5050. That's right, Char-Griller. I personally use the Char-griller for all my exterior cooking. They make fantastic grills, aimed at the home-BBQer.

They started out with the basic cylinder model, with a modular fire box attachment. They have a new product, and it's currently being sold at Lowes. The 5050! This one has the gas and the BBQ. So you have everything you need to really experiment with low and slow or have a quick grill on gas. As a home brewer, you might find BBQ'ing as fun as brewing, and just as time-consuming. Mild warning with C-Grillers: they are screwed together pretty simply, so they may appear not as sturdy if not properly tightened up, making it feel wobbly. Don't be fooled. A good ratchet will tighten it up. They make great products for entry/intermediate level, and they sell mods/parts for all their grills.

I am on my second Char-griller spanning 10 years, and I still have the same firebox from day 1.

This is all well and good if you have the time, but between work and getting dinner on the table for the family, I ain't got no time for this. Gas grill heats up in 5 minutes, food is cooked in 15. Can't beat that.

Plus, the whole point of the thread was what was the best GAS grill....

Quick Reply