Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Bakeing bread in a smoker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
Butcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bakeing bread in a smoker

I read a post in praise of the big green egg as a cook anything anyway and it got me thinking that I should try to bake a loaf of bread over charcoal. I don't have a green egg, just a regular vertical smoker. My concern is that I couldn't avoid putting a smoked flavor in the bread though. I cold smoked some cheese in my gas grill once and the next time I grilled meat it had a smoked flavor to it due to the smoke residue left behind. Is there any way I could avoid this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The BGE works well as an oven because of its ceramic construction. It's walls hold heat and bake from all sides. I think you'll have problems making bread in a regular grill or smoker. You could build a mini "brick oven" structure inside the grill with unglazed quarry tiles ( google for instruction). Also, kamado cookers like a BGE are very efficient and airtight, so once started and pre-heated very little smoke is generated with charcoal alone.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
BraveSirRobin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you make the right kind of bread I think the smoke flavor would be amazing in it. I'm thinking something with cornbread, jalapeno, maybe a bit of mango for some sweetness. Add some smokiness and you've got so many flavors going on. That sounds awesome! Get on it and send me some samples!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For baking bread outdoors, Lodge dutch ovens can't be beat. I have the type that are meant for cooking over charcoal that have feet on the bottom. I bake artisan bread in mine pretty much every time I BBQ or grill. The dutch oven gives it a nice crunchy crust like it should have without having to mist it with water or add some sort of water tray. I use the recipe found all around the net for "5 minute artisan bread".

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I'm thinking of firing up my smoker next time, just to make dog treats. My house oven is only so big, and I usually have a crap ton of spent grain. Might as well use it all up, and see if we can't make some money with it! I figure it would work out well, since you don't have to worry about food alergies.

My smoker is an insulated cabinet, so it only varies by 2 degrees from top to bottom. I think this would work well.

Quick Reply