Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Any tips for a beef brisket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It looks like that brisket has mashed potatoes with it. My mashed potatoes are made with boiled sliced potatoes (unpeeled). When mashing them, I leave the skins on and add sea salt, black pepper, milk, butter and sour cream. Mash all these together and serve. They have so much flavor they don't even need gravy.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

BTW, here is my recipe for smoked beans:

Ingredients:
Great Northern or Navy Beans
6 ounces of bacon or salt pork cut into ½” pieces
Large Onion, Finely chopped
3 tbs Brown Sugar
3 tbs Molasses
3 tbs Maple Syrup
1 ½ tbs Dry Mustard
1 ½ tbs Worchestershire Sauce
1 ½ tbs Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

Soak beans for six hours
In a large heavy pot, cook bacon, and onions until translucent.
Add beans and some water; simmer until tender.
Pour beans into foil disposable tray.
Place beans in smoker (preferably under a brisket or other large chunk of meat).
Cook between 200 and 225 for several hours; watch to keep them from drying out.
If cooking with a brisket, chop some brisket and place it in beans before serving.

Each time I spray the brisket with beer the beans get a good healthy spray also.

When the brisket is fully carved, the small scraps get thrown into the beans and mixed in.
2013-03-30-16.55.53.jpg

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1954 Times on 1413 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

I got the stuff to make these beans next time I smoke a pork butt. So I got a pork butt going last night and completely forgot to do the beans!!

Well, I can still make them for tomorrow. Got some chips left over and by the time comes to smoke the bean I'll have some pork to toss in there too.

How much beans do you use with that recipe?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Hmm... I wonder what the beans would be like if I used some beer instead of water to cook them...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I just "smoked" a brisket for the first time a couple weeks ago. For those that don't have a smoker, listen up.

First, I just rubbed it with some webber's mesquite rub right out of the package.
Then, I got my weber bbq going, let about a chimney worth of coal burn down past the point of where I would start grilling, I want heat, but not searing hot. I then pushed them out to the side and placed soaked woodchips on top in foil pouch, the placed the grill down with a couple layers of foil, and placed the brisket fat down on foil on top of that. SMoke started billowing, I set up the air to keep it going as low and slow as I could. Let that go for 2 hours. Then, once the thing is burned out, I place the brisket right side up in a foil pan, put in 2 cups of brewed coffee in it, a shake or five of worcestershire in it, and wrapped it heavily with foil and in the oven at 225 for about 6 hours.

I took it out, and it was pretty much perfect. Now I put it all in the fridge and the next day, slice nice thin slices against the grain, and then stuff the sliced brisket \into pans and then top with the au jus/drippings and whatever cold rendered fat pieces you have to melt over the brisket when reheating... Replace with the foil from the big pan.

Now you are ready to go. the day you want to serve, just put in the oven for an hour at 225 and you are set.

I served it with fresh rolls and Rudy's "BBQ Sause" and their "Sissy Sause", and some homemade slaw. Everyone who came requested "take out" when they left.

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1124 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 603

I'm in the camp that a brisket is a good enough cut where you don't have to get too deep with the extras. Trip the fat to your liking, use a nice rub and cook it slow. Take it off at 133 and let it rest for an hour. Cooking time is usually 5-6 hours set at 200 degrees on my set up (traeger)

If I had a way to cook it for eight hours I would. Too much effort with my setup

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

The pastrami turned out great after I rinsed the crap off the outside. Too salty before that!

I tried the beans and they didn't turn out very good. No tangy flavor. I was wondering when there was no tomato based item on the list. I liked the smoky flavor and I added a bit of ketchup and that helped, but nobody else in the house liked them. Bummer because I was looking forward to those for days!

Up next? A plain brisket this time. I don't think anyone else in the family even tried the pastrami, but I've pretty much eaten it all. Just picked up some sauerkraut to make a sort of Rueben sandwich for work. Not bad.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1855 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1329

^^^Don't forget the swiss & put it on deli rye & toast it! yum. The last time I did brisket,I bought the biggest one I could find,as they shrink a lot. I do'em in my pit offset heat. Pile of coals with white ash &/or pin oak on top of that. No foil pouches or any of that. No need to. Usually takes all day to smoke it if I start before dawn. I do the Texas cheat at the end,but off the heat or it'll overcook. Let it rest in the foil cheat while I get the other stuff ready. I also like a mop sauce made with English bitter to keep it moist.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Brisket isn't as sensitive to temp as is pork, some competition guys will go to 300...I keep it between 235 and 250 and pull when the meat hits just above 200. I do the Texas crutch to push it past that stall as I don't like waiting hours extra for evaporation when there is no need. I then take it out of the foil to finish off and let it rest a while before cutting...as someone else mentioned above.

For a rub I use little to no sugar and it is heavy on the pepper, completely different than my pork rub. I, also like another poster, collect the drippings and reduce them for a little side sauce.

Oh yeah, I do about 3 additions of wood chunks in the first bit while the meat is still cold totaling around 12-16 ozs of wood. I don't go to heavy on the mesquite, apple is my go to, but I like some mesquite for that classic character.

Those are my thoughts, hope there is something worth considering in them.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1124 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff
Brisket isn't as sensitive to temp as is pork, some competition guys will go to 300...I keep it between 235 and 250 and pull when the meat hits just above 200. I do the Texas crutch to push it past that stall as I don't like waiting hours extra for evaporation when there is no need. I then take it out of the foil to finish off and let it rest a while before cutting...as someone else mentioned above.

For a rub I use little to no sugar and it is heavy on the pepper, completely different than my pork rub. I, also like another poster, collect the drippings and reduce them for a little side sauce.

Oh yeah, I do about 3 additions of wood chunks in the first bit while the meat is still cold totaling around 12-16 ozs of wood. I don't go to heavy on the mesquite, apple is my go to, but I like some mesquite for that classic character.

Those are my thoughts, hope there is something worth considering in them.
You cook beef to 200 degrees? You should be arrested for that

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Quick Reply