Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Any tips for a beef brisket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Default Any tips for a beef brisket?

I want to smoke a brisket. Is it just about like a pork butt? The one I bought came packaged in a marinade. It was a spur of the moment purchase. From what I see it sounds like you just smoke it at about 225 for many hours and finish with a short wrap in foil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
baviking
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I rub on Canadian steak seasoning. Smoke until you hit an internal temp of 160-165*. Wrap in foil and put back in smoker until it hits 195*. Let it rest for a while before slicing.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
flugelizor
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I stay away from pre-marinated meats except corned brisket.
When you smoke that it becomes pastrami. But that's another topic.

I Look for a 12-14 "packer" vacuum packed whole brisket. Learn to trim it yourself from YouTube or other web tutorials.
Leave 1/4" fat on the top and smoke it lightly for 12-? hours.

I have used Paul Kirk's dry rub and it is great, http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipe...-Kirks-Dry-Rub
But it will also be great with a simpler rub. You are in for a treat!

And if the wife tries to get you to do chores be sure to tell her how busy you are. If you take your focus off the fire and beer for just a little while the whole thing could be ruined.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You will want to cook it for a lot longer than a pork butt. Depending on the weight 12-14 hours is normal.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I want to smoke a brisket. Is it just about like a pork butt? The one I bought came packaged in a marinade. It was a spur of the moment purchase. From what I see it sounds like you just smoke it at about 225 for many hours and finish with a short wrap in foil.
Check to make sure you didn't get a corned beef brisket. That is the only brisket I've ever seen come in a marinade, but of course I am in Texas--where brisket rules the smoke pit.

Because the briskets I smoke usually take about 12 to 14 hours to finish--and they are usually being served with a church potluck lunch or early dinner, it means mine get cooked overnight. Since my smoker is a simple metal with firewood contraption, with no electronic or automatic controls it means I have to be hands on the whole time. I love brisket and cook it all the time, but don't love it that much so I have come up with a way that works for me.

I assume 1.25 to 1.5 hours per pound (I always get the whole, untrimmed brisket).
Rub with pepper, sea salt, garlic powder and onion salt (the brisket, not me).
Place into smoker at around 225 deg, with a thin blue smoke.
Try to maintain a low and slow without too heavy of smoke.
After about six hours or so, I wrap in foil and finish.
If I am cooking it overnight, then I take the wrapped brisket and put it in the over set to 225 deg to finish instead of the smoker (don't forget to put it into a pan in case of leaks). That way I can set it and forget it until morning.
Take it out when done. Temperature should be north of 185 deg.

Let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour before cutting. I forgot this step one time and it looked like someone had sprayed rendered fat all over the kitchen--the juice literally squirted out of the cut. The wifey was pissed. With sitting, it will reabsorb much of the moisture into the meat.

If you want a real treat, make some sweet beans and put the pan under the brisket during smoking to get smoked and catch the good stuff!

One last thing--for a nice touch--every half hour or so while smoking, spray the brisket with your favorite beer.

And the number one rule for Brisket in Texas: "If you need sauce with it, then you haven't cooked it right."

Once thing I do to make a sauce for those who would like it is to simply catch about a cup of drippings and blend with ketchup. Say my brisket needs sauce and you might catch a fork to your forehead. Simply say you'd like a little sauce to go with it and I'll hand it to you.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
mattmuir
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
You are on the right track! Instead of foil try the brown butcher paper if you are smoking indirect. Lets the smoke in but keeps the bark from getting mushy. Mine are done when they are done almost always around 200 to 205 deg. Paper or foil keeps them oh so moist.

Oh if you are going to foil wait till around 160 or so.

Reason: more info

Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3728 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 3229

I don't know what kind of marinade would come with a brisket for smoking. Sounds like a corned beef to me too. Don't bother smoking that, it's been soaked in curing salts and spices already. I corn my briskets sometimes, you should try that too. Takes about 5 days.

Briskets are one of the best things I make on my grill. Here's how I do it. I put pork shoulders right on the grate, but briskets go in shallow disposable aluminum pans and get foil later to keep it moist.

1. Rub. I cover it with dry mustard then rub in spices (salt, chili powder, garlic, etc)
  2. Place each brisket (I do two 5 lb. flats) in a shallow aluminum cooking pan (the disposable kind is OK). Cook at 225 until internal temp > 170. Maybe 5 or 6 hours.
  3. At this point I rap the briskets with foil completely. Use the really wide foil wrap. Spoon as much of the juice as you can from the pans into the foil wrap to baste the meat. Save the rest of the juice for spooning over the meat or use for gravy if you decide to serve that way.
  4. Cook till internal temp = 195.
  5. Remove and let rest in the foil for another hour or two.
  6. Cut very thin slices across the grain of the meat (makes it easier to eat). Test on a corner to see which way the grain is running.
  7. Spoon juices over the sliced meat, and serve with BBQ sauce on the side. Or, make a gravy out of the extra juice and serve next to a large plop of mashed potatoes.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Oops, it's a corned brisket. Oh well, I bet it will still be good enough to eat. I just have a simple electric Brinkman smoker, so no tending it except to load chips and mop every once in a while. I'll plan on getting a plain brisket for next time. The brine smells pretty good when I took it out of the package this morning, but I couldn't help but throw some rub on it anyway.

A thunderstorm came in right as I got up this morning, so I'm going to try and text my daughter through setting up the smoker and getting it going. It's only a 3.5 lb. brisket, so it might be ready by tonight.

Great idea on the bean, cluckk! Too bad I'll be at work for the smoking portion.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

(SIGH) After having my daughter set up the smoker via text messages, and a false start when she plugged it into the wrong outlet and tripped the breaker, it only got up to 130F before bed last night. I wrapped it in foil and will finish it today. Luckily my experience has been that this doesn't seem to affect the quality of the meat in the end.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

As long as the heat stays low and you take your time, they are pretty bullet proof. I've seen people do all sorts of things to brisket and seldom have I had a bad one.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Quick Reply