HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Any canned venison recipes out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
2grit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK View Post
Anyone sear their meat prior to canning? I've made some chili with canned venison and while it was good, I would have preferred if the chunks stayed together better.

One thing about canning venison. ... it takes almost all of the "gaminess" out, so it might be something to consider if you have a picky Eater who doesn't like venison. Then again, I have found that a lot of this gaminess comes from the handling of the animal and not so much the meat itself.
You are absolutely right about the gaminess. I process deer professionally, plus I eat venison literally 365 days a year. It has zero gamey flavor to it because I cool the carcass fast. Period. It's amazing how many people think that venison is gamey just because it's venison.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2grit View Post

You are absolutely right about the gaminess. I process deer professionally, plus I eat venison literally 365 days a year. It has zero gamey flavor to it because I cool the carcass fast. Period. It's amazing how many people think that venison is gamey just because it's venison.
Yep. I have insulated game bags (Trophy Bag Kooler) that I immediately put my deer into after making a kill. I pack the cavity with ice to get it cooled as quickly as possible.

I also get it cut and in the freezer asap.

Growing up, we always just threw our deer into the back of a pickup where they would sit for the entire weekend, and then they would hang in an unheated shop for a few days. We also had someone else do the processing, who most likely did gang processing. It was always gamy.

When I started doing my own, it wasn't gamy. I had gotten the kooler when I took up bow hunting since that season starts when it is warmer.

I've heard some conflicting reports on aging of venison. I've heard that venison lacks the proper compounds to age, and also that aging makes it better provided you keep it at a consistent temperature. Lacking the facilities to attempt aging on my own, I can't say for sure which is true. I do know that my venison that I immediately cool and process had been much better than the "barn Aged" venison we had growing up.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

2grit Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
kc_in_wv
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If a steer or a hog was treated the way some people treat there venison, they wouldn't eat it. When I go hunting I have heavy duty garbage bags with me that I fill with ice when I harvest a deer. I stuff them in the cavity ASAP. Aging has never been a problem if it is done at a refrigeration temperature for a week or less.

I have seen people drag their deer to the nearest creek to wash it out and dry it with leaves.

What I smoke has a sting to it.

2grit Likes This 
Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
2grit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_in_wv View Post
If a steer or a hog was treated the way some people treat there venison, they wouldn't eat it. When I go hunting I have heavy duty garbage bags with me that I fill with ice when I harvest a deer. I stuff them in the cavity ASAP. Aging has never been a problem if it is done at a refrigeration temperature for a week or less.

I have seen people drag their deer to the nearest creek to wash it out and dry it with leaves.
WOW!!! Your first line about treating venison like hogs and beef had my name written all over it. I have quoted that exact line hundreds of times. Nice to see others that "get it"
Old 11-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #15
2grit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK View Post
Yep. I have insulated game bags (Trophy Bag Kooler) that I immediately put my deer into after making a kill. I pack the cavity with ice to get it cooled as quickly as possible.

I also get it cut and in the freezer asap.

Growing up, we always just threw our deer into the back of a pickup where they would sit for the entire weekend, and then they would hang in an unheated shop for a few days. We also had someone else do the processing, who most likely did gang processing. It was always gamy.

When I started doing my own, it wasn't gamy. I had gotten the kooler when I took up bow hunting since that season starts when it is warmer.

I've heard some conflicting reports on aging of venison. I've heard that venison lacks the proper compounds to age, and also that aging makes it better provided you keep it at a consistent temperature. Lacking the facilities to attempt aging on my own, I can't say for sure which is true. I do know that my venison that I immediately cool and process had been much better than the "barn Aged" venison we had growing up.
Here is something I stumbled upon quite by accident when it comes to aging. First of all, never age a deer hanging on a hook. Always cut them as soon as possible after cooling. The important part is vacuum packing. By accident, I left a deer loin in my fridge for 2 weeks, forgetting it was there. I thought I had ruined it. It wasn't only still good, it was amazing. I purposely age the venison now in the fridge, in it's vacuum packaging, for 3 weeks before eating it. Don't attempt this with any other method of packaging.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
blusmoke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

KISS. That is my method for deer canning. I process all of the cuts I want, Backstraps, fish eyes, steaks, and roasts.
Everything else gets chunked into 1/2 in cubes.
Into pint jars, (cleaned and boiled) with a bit of boiling h2o, a clove of garlic, and 1/2 tsp of canning salt (a little goes a long way).
Sometime a 1/2 tsp of Badia sasson seasoning.
In the canner for 1:15 at 10 lbs.
allow to completly cool before moving around.
You are GTG for some time.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #17
evan5159
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My dad and I built as walk in cooler at his house so we age our deer for a week at 38 degrees. We butcher our own. Steaks, roasts, loin and burger. Canning in normally reserved for the year old meat in the freezer from last season. Liberal bonus does here. Don't get too fancy with it though, maybe some garlic or season salt. My buddy's wife canned some ground meat with taco seasoning and that was killer! If you try it lemme know how you like it

Old 12-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
2grit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan5159 View Post
My dad and I built as walk in cooler at his house so we age our deer for a week at 38 degrees. We butcher our own. Steaks, roasts, loin and burger. Canning in normally reserved for the year old meat in the freezer from last season. Liberal bonus does here. Don't get too fancy with it though, maybe some garlic or season salt. My buddy's wife canned some ground meat with taco seasoning and that was killer! If you try it lemme know how you like it
You gave me an idea and I'll let you know how it works. I'm going to try a batch by grinding through my largest plate(1/2") rather than cut in chunks. I think it will load into the jars easier and make it easier to get all the air out. I'll post after trying it and let you know how it goes. BTW, I've already made several batches, trying different flavorings. I'll post my favorites when the time comes. I'm going through it pretty fast. Thanks for the post and the idea. I think it's going to work out

Quick Reply