Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Alton Brown Smoker + Ebay temp controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Just a suggestion but i built an Ugly Drum Smoker. It works great. I use a couple of cheap thermometers and probe to monitor meat and drum temps. To adjust my temp its just a slight movement on the ball valves. The Alton brown thing is cool is you decide to go that way. Post up your progress.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
I'd much rather have a nice charcoal one as well, but as it stands I've already canceled all if my brewing projects due to funds so I'm trying to keep this one cheap, lol.
Hi

I waited for my charcoal machine for nearly 20 years...

Bob

Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Revisiting this thread. I decided to try something new, actually attempt to do something BEFORE investing money in it. Got a couple of rib racks, rubbed them up and threw them on my propane grill.

Despite the many problems I faced (rack of ribs too large for my tiny gas grill, actually getting up to temp with a tiny portable propane grill) I actually enjoyed it. I have a spare half barrel keg I think I'll turn into a smoker. Thinking of a 1500w hot plate and maybe trying out the stc controller, with the probe invaded in a metal tube, or a dimmer switch. Just gotta figure out how to make a door at the bottom of a keg to remove and add chips, as I don't want to cut the bottom completely out and lift it up over the hot plate as I've seen in another build.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I'm not 100% sure the STC probe will stand up to smoker temperatures.

If memory serves the hotplate in my flowerpot smoker is only 1100W. (See the link in my signature.)

Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Lol, already have a new plan actually. Would like to make an offset smoker utilizing a 55gal drum for the meat (turned sideways) and the keg for the fire box. Haven't completely worked it all out. Main thing is trying to find a drum for the price I'm willing to pay

Quick Reply