Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > 24 pounds of dry cured belly bacon (pic heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
TheDemonSlick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You people are Awesome. Not just you personally, but You and those Like You. I look at a lot of sites.... but you do-it-yourselfers, you awesome-techniquererrs, you live off the landerrerrers... I appreciate your knowledge, all of you, all of it. Priceless. I started out just wanting to learn distillation, now I can do wine, beer, bacon, mushrooms (yeah, those ones) and even a Chinese Thousand year old egg. Love You All.
Cheers!
-TDS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #22
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
Ask the guys that handle the meat at the local grocery stores, one of them will have it at a decent price.
What is a decent price these days? I am looking at anywhere from 3.69 to 5.00 per pound at well regarded butcher shops in the area.

Also, I still hate you guys. Ordered a pair of SS bacon hangers and this book today and my curing salt arrived yesterday. Need to get to work, now and actually fire everything up!

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
What is a decent price these days? I am looking at anywhere from 3.69 to 5.00 per pound at well regarded butcher shops in the area.

Also, I still hate you guys. Ordered a pair of SS bacon hangers and this book today and my curing salt arrived yesterday. Need to get to work, now and actually fire everything up!

I have been paying from $2.79-$2.99 for skin off 3-5 slab cases from my local butcher. I think he gets $3.29 if you take a slab or less.
I would think being in the middle of BFE up here ours should be higher than those who are in more populated areas.

That stuff will provide you with years of enjoyment and good eats

Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #24
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew View Post
I have been paying from $2.79-$2.99 for skin off 3-5 slab cases from my local butcher. I think he gets $3.29 if you take a slab or less.
I would think being in the middle of BFE up here ours should be higher than those who are in more populated areas.
Yeah, these are "gourmet" type deli/butchers. The higher end is heritage breeds and all that jazz. There is so much volume in the main grocery stores around here that the only way a butcher shop stays in business is offering considerably higher end product. I wouldn't mind using it once I am comfortable with my process, but I hesitate to go there on my first run.

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

this should have been labeled NSFW because it is definitely pron.. soo much tasty looking pork..

To quote Sweedish chef "Pork, Pork, Pork"

well done sir.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: Nada
On Tap: Pale Ale, Brown, Marzen, cider, skeeter pee
Next batch(es): dirty blonde
Updated: 12-19-2014
"Oh no, not again" - A Bowl of Petunias

Old 04-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #26
penabrewchef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IF you want cheap belly to practice your process on or try different flavors, a Chinese market cannot be beat. Often as low as 1.50 a lb. I often get the slab with the skin on so I can make chicharrones. Pay less per pound and get a little more out if it.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by penabrewchef View Post
IF you want cheap belly to practice your process on or try different flavors, a Chinese market cannot be beat. Often as low as 1.50 a lb. I often get the slab with the skin on so I can make chicharrones. Pay less per pound and get a little more out if it.
Thanks for the tip. Found it for $2.99 skin-on at the Mexican market. Got a couple to mess around with.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #28
Randar

Recipes 

Not to pollute SuperiorBrew's thread with my own lame attempt, but since this thread inspired me, here goes. Did a run of 2 smaller slabs of bacon and 2 4# hunks of Canadian Bacon. I found 2 full AMNPS trays to be a bit overpowering on the smoke when done in a WSM, but it's very tasty nonetheless.

img_00000465.jpg   img_00000467.jpg   img_00000469.jpg   img_00000470.jpg   img_00000471.jpg  

bgeek Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #29
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Not to pollute SuperiorBrew's thread with my own lame attempt, but since this thread inspired me, here goes. Did a run of 2 smaller slabs of bacon and 2 4# hunks of Canadian Bacon. I found 2 full AMNPS trays to be a bit overpowering on the smoke when done in a WSM, but it's very tasty nonetheless.
Looks very tasty to me, if you seal it up and let it rest for several days to a couple weeks it will mellow out. Mine usually hits where I like it in 5-7 days.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #30
JaYsOuL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My goodness does that look good!

Quick Reply