Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Soda > Paisano's Amazing Ginger Ale (soft drink)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #11
duffman2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Was thinking about making 4 or 5 gallons of it to make the most out of using a keg. How long would this soda solution hold up? A few weeks?

And how high would you carbonate? 20psi for a day or two maybe?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
NBrasseur
Recipes 

Has anybody tried a yeast carbonation at this point?

I brown sugar ought not be edible to yeast (being sucrose), but I don't know about the molasses (but will be looking into it shortly...).

I suppose that the addition of some corn sugar and yeast at the time of bottling might do the trick. Since my fermenter is coming available tonight, maybe I'll give it a go this week.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Paisano
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBrasseur View Post
Has anybody tried a yeast carbonation at this point?

I brown sugar ought not be edible to yeast (being sucrose), but I don't know about the molasses (but will be looking into it shortly...).

I suppose that the addition of some corn sugar and yeast at the time of bottling might do the trick. Since my fermenter is coming available tonight, maybe I'll give it a go this week.
With the sugars, it will definitely ferment. However, keep in mind that this is a fairly sweet solution without much in the way of non-fermentable dextrins. As a result, I would expect that it would result in a fairly low FG and be pretty dry. If I were going to ferment, I would add amber or dark malt for residual sweetness, as well as providing the yeast with nutrients not found in the sucrose. Keep me posted, since I've not tried this.

Mini Kegs & Bottles: Steam Beer
Mini Kegs & Bottles: Irish Stout
Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Brew my Amazing Ginger Ale (soft drink) for the kids!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have been trying my hand at some sodas and ciders recently, and I have been skipping the back-sweetening step in favor of laziness.

I tell people to add sugar to taste after it is carbonated. There is still some residual sweetness leftover in most of my sodas, but I just give people a little warning first if they like it sweet.

I just made a Kvaas/Ginger Ale with 1 lb of pumpernickel that I boiled for 10 minutes and let steep for 8 hours. I strained that liquid off into my mr beer kit with 1 oz of ginger, lemon juice and zest, chopped raisins and large chunks of chopped ginger (another ounce or so), 1lb of corn sugar and ~1lb of honey.

After about 4 days it is still a little sweet, so I put some into a couple bottles with some priming sugar. I will wait a week before putting it in the fridge and testing it out.

Hoping to come out with a low-alcohol (2-4%) brew with a lot of ginger nose.

Next time I will definitely be using lemon and/or oranges directly in the brew, rather than just zest and juice.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
MikeyBrew11
Recipes 

Looks like I'll be trying this recipe in a week or two. I'll be carbing in the bottle. Please let us know if anyone has had good success with bottle carbing and what modifications you made. My plan otherwise is to follow above and drop the brow. Sugar by 1/4 and replace with 1/4 corn sugar and use Nottingham ale yeast. I'll cold crash after 24-48 hours.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
jenobear
Recipes 

Yum

image-1264352268.jpg  

Old 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
jenobear
Recipes 

This recipe is currently boiling away on the stove. It smells AMAZING! I will be force carbing in 2 liter bottles. Can't wait to try this!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
wtaylor3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm thinking of trying this with yeast carbonation as I don't have the means to force carb...I plan on bottling in plastic bottles and refrigerating after 48 hrs....at this point the yeast has not had enough time to produce alcohol correct? I plan on letting my 3 year old drink this and I would like to not have a drunk toddler lol...

P.s. am planning on using champagne yeast

Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #19
droshi
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To give my opinion...go with force carbonation. Not only does it prevent bottle bombs with sodas, but as you mention you would be making some alcohol. How much? It all depends on what temperature, how much yeast and how active the yeast still is...but overall there's no way to know 100% for sure.

If you really can't force carbonate, I suggest making a "syrup" concentrate method by boiling this recipe down without sugar (to about 1/5th the volume starting with maybe 1/2 the water). Then adding sugar at the end. After that you can mix with bottled carbonated water, make sure everything is cold before mixing!

I used to do the above syrup method before getting a carbonator and bottle, and now I have a kegging system. If you are serious about making soda, you should at least have a carbonator.

Quick Reply