Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Soda > Hot and spicy Ginger Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Nubster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hot and spicy Ginger Beer

Disappointed in the commercial ginger sodas, I have set out to do my own. I think I have it close to what I am looking for. I thought I'd share even though it's not that different from what others are doing.

This is for 2 liters:

7oz fresh grated ginger
Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
Zest and juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast (might be able to use just 1/8 tsp)

Add ginger, lemon, and lime to sauce pan and cover with 24 oz of good water. Simmer until liquid is reduced by about 1/4 or so, or a good 30 minutes. Strain and squeeze as much liquid from the remaining pulp as you can. Add liquid back to sauce pan and bring back to boil adding sugar until dissolved. Allow to cool and pour into a 2 liter bottle. Add water to fill bottle 3/4 and add yeast. Cap and shake. Loosen cap and squeeze the headspace from the bottle and tighten cap again. Let sit in a warm spot until the bottle is rock hard (less than 24 hours in my experience so far) and then place in the fridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
newbrewcandl
Recipes 

A few Q's do you need to release the pressure before putting it in the fridge how long does this take and what is the finishing alcohol content?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Nubster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't release the pressure. Just straight into the fridge. I am finding it takes less than 24 hours so keep an eye on it. Not sure alcohol content, never checked it but there is zero alcohol taste so if there is any, it's a very small amount.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had a Ginger Beer that i kinda liked, when I was on vacation in the Carribbean. I believe it was about 5 or 6%, but had a distinct flavor. I've been curious to experiment with a ginger beer since then. I may just have to give this a test run. Thanks.

Maverick Moon Miner Brewing

Old 12-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Nubster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I thought about trying it again and letting it ferment with a air lock for a week and see how that turns out.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I tried this last night with a few changes. I hadn't realized I didn't have quite enough ginger on hand, and ended up with probably 3.5 oz, or so. It still had quite the ginger aroma to it, but I'm hoping that the flavor is there. Also, I didn't have Champagne yeast, so I used Nottingham.

I followed the OP recipe as described, other than those two exceptions. I took a gravity reading before I pitched the yeast, and was at about 1.042. I figure this is a quick and cheap experiment, so if it's decent, I can tweak it out in the future, and maybe let it ferment longer so I could get about a 5% beer out of it. Then again, if it makes a good soda, I'm fine with that too. I'll try to post the results once it's done.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay, so its been just over 24 hours. The bottle was back to normal size but not completely hard. I tried to take a reading in the hydrometer, and there is a bit of carbonation which I think may be throwing it off (reading 1.050 tonight). I wish I would've used the refractometer last night.

Anyway, the flavor is really good. Even with only half the OP recommendation of ginger, it still has a solid ginger flavor. I'm not a regular soda drinker, and to me, it's a little over sweet at this point. That would be my only minor criticism, but the Notty might be a contributor also. I definitely like the flavor though, and will continue to play with this recipe.

I think I'm going to squeeze the head space out of the bottle again, and let it go another night. I'll try it again tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Nubster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds good. I think I might make another batch tonight and let it ferment rather than just carbonate and see how that turns out.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
Oak_Brook_Brewing_Company
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Any updates on the alcoholic twist on the ginger beer? I am looking into gluten free beer substitute for my sister in law. I would like to try a gallon batch...

Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
hooch0325
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak_Brook_Brewing_Company View Post
Any updates on the alcoholic twist on the ginger beer? I am looking into gluten free beer substitute for my sister in law. I would like to try a gallon batch...
+1
anybody ever fermented this out?

Quick Reply