Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Soda > Easy Ginger Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any thoughts on replacing half of the sugar with splenda? Obviously some real sugar needs to remain in order to carbonate but SWMBO is more likely to enjoy it if it's a little lighter on the sugar.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I feel like a total idiot for asking this, but with sugar and yeast isn't this drink alcoholic??

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
I feel like a total idiot for asking this, but with sugar and yeast isn't this drink alcoholic??
It will have some alcohol in it but I couldn't tell you how much. The point in sticking it in the fridge is to stop the yeast from converting sugar and producing more CO2.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
Frenchy
Recipes 

I was reading another thread on rootbeear, but that one was carb-ed in a keg. Could you take sodas, put them in glass bottles and carb with Cooper's carbonation drops rather than yeast or a keg?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Would it be possible to formulate two recipes, one made to be nearly non-alcoholic like normal, and one purposely more alcoholic? I know I would prefer it that way.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I was reading another thread on rootbeear, but that one was carb-ed in a keg. Could you take sodas, put them in glass bottles and carb with Cooper's carbonation drops rather than yeast or a keg?
See the bold text in the original post.

This works with beer because we carefully control the amount of fermentable sugar that goes into the bottle. Ginger ale is full of fermentable sugar, which is why it needs to go in the fridge (to halt the fermenation) once it has appropriately carbonated. Which, by the way, is a LOT more carbonated than beer, which makes glass a risky choice.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #17
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
Would it be possible to formulate two recipes, one made to be nearly non-alcoholic like normal, and one purposely more alcoholic? I know I would prefer it that way.
To do what you're describing, mix up the original recipe, loosely put the cap on, and let it ferment out. Now, add another cup of sugar, tighten the lid, and proceed as before...you picturing this? It's not pretty. Ginger hooch. You're much better off just using it as a mixer, with scotch perhaps. Or just vodka.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #18
Frenchy
Recipes 

I guess my question is more can you carbonate without yeast or using a keg system regardless of what type of bottling you are doing?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I guess my question is more can you carbonate without yeast or using a keg system regardless of what type of bottling you are doing?
No. Cooper's Carbonation Drops are just sugar (glucose and sucrose). They depend on the action of the yeast in your beer to carbonate. They are just another way to measure out sugar rather than swirling dextrose into your bottling bucket. Adding them to ginger ale with no yeast and no external source of CO2 would do nothing.

You could use a carbonator cap and mini-CO2 charger if you don't have a full kegging setup.
www.chadwrites.com

Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
credible2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Any thoughts on replacing half of the sugar with splenda? Obviously some real sugar needs to remain in order to carbonate but SWMBO is more likely to enjoy it if it's a little lighter on the sugar.
I was kinda thinking the same thing, but put in 100% Splenda (except the very small bit that is needed to carbonate the ginger ale.) You wouldn't have to worry about exploding bottles either.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS