Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > You guys are not going to believe this...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
movet22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default You guys are not going to believe this...

So before I get into the brief back story, here is the brief-er beck-er story: I have been brewing for almost 5 years, started with extract batches in my college apartment and have just finished my 7th AG batch a few minutes ago. I have, within the past 5 months, gotten engaged, bought a house and moved out of my parents house and in with my fiance.

This is all relevant because, I have moved my MacGuyver-esque propane fueled AG set up to our new house and brewed for the first time with it in the new digs tonight. My fiance was NOT happy that I was using such an intense flame (banjo) on the new front porch (In my defense, it was supposed to rain, I needed the cover). She was so appalled that she demanded that I drastically upgrade before I brew again.

This all brings me to the electric forum. I have just been given full reign over the entire basement (which has a utility sink already) and have been told to go completely electric. Including pumps, a control panel and a fermentation chamber. (The frem chamber is just another thing she wants me to make so that my carboys do not sit in the air conditioned living room.)

Let me start by laying out my current set up, of which I plan to mostly keep: 10 gal aluminum HLT, 10 gal orange rubbermaid cooler MLT and an 8 gal stainless boil kettle. I just got a brand new circuit breaker in the basement so I plan on getting a spa panel installed within the next few days, maybe a week.

My first question is, what should I expect to spend on a generally simple 2 element build? (I am hoping to keep in under $1k.)

I am also going to post a mock up of what I have in mind for a control panel in the morning, hopefully I can get some critique and suggestions.

Feel free to follow me as I build my budget friendly dream set up, and suggest anything you can think of along the way.

Thanks in advance for all the input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

heh I'm moving in with my girlfriend and she has told me to stop spending money on brewing. You're a lucky one.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

movet22,

Wishing you great success.

I've drawn many diagrams for a brew rig such as your planned adventure.

Please let me know if I can help.

P-J

Old 07-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
friday
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would think you could do it pretty cheep, and it would be a nice setup to.

You could use your existing equipment plus, a simple phase angle controller, 100 bucks. http://www.stilldragon.com/basic-controller.html Two 5500 elements 60 bucks. Two tri clamp feurrels, clamps, and seals, about 30 bucks. Two connectors for the elements, 40 bucks. http://www.hillbillystills.com/Heati...ate_p/hecp.htm

After the parts it should take about an hour at the shop to tig weld the feurrels in, 60 bucks.

All total you will be into it under 300 dollars to have the same set up your currently using converted to electric.

This would be a similar setup to mine except when I did mine I had to build everything from scratch.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
heh I'm moving in with my girlfriend and she has told me to stop spending money on brewing. You're a lucky one.
Told you? WTF? Is she your parent? Does she have control issues?

You're an adult, she's an adult; If she does not feel that is true, and wants to tell you how to conduct yourself, it may be time for her to come to terms with that idea. I suggest you not move in until that issue is settled.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
movet22
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ok, so here is a picture of the control panel that I would like to build. I am looking to keep it simple (forgive me for the paint-esque drawing), also, I am planning on putting in a switch for the pump in the lower left corner of the box (not shown in the illustration).

Is it completely insane of me to ask what a general parts list would be for something like this? I know of the main things that I will need, obviously the parts listed, but things like a heat sink I would have totally forgotten about.

Also, P-J, I have most of your diagrams saved b/c I have been dreaming of a build like this for a while, but I do not really know which one is best for what, so any help here would be amazing.

Thanks guys!

control-pannel-picture.jpg  

Old 07-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
P-J
Recipes 

movet22,

Quick question: Why 2 PIDs? With your element selector switch, you can only select one element at a time. One PID could get the job done for you & it would save you some good dollars.

I just finished a diagram for you and put together an Excel parts list.

P-J

Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Thehopguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

P-J, I know that diagram and parts list is for movet22, but would you mind posting it publicly for others like me who are interested in going electric eventually?

On Deck: Double IPA, GTBT V3
Primary: GTBT APA
Bottled: GTBT V2, GTBT V1, Black IPA, Centennial IPA, Pumpkin Ale, Badboy IPA, Simarillo APA

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
P-J
Recipes 

movet22,

Ok. Here is a diagram for your planned build:

As always - Click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

This link is for the Brewparts_Order.xls spread sheet that list most of the parts needed for your build. Save it to your system. When you click on the URL column items, the specific part referenced will show from the vendor. Use the TAB & Back Tab keys to navigate the sheet.

Near total cost is $480.

I sure hope this helps you in your adventure. If you need anything changed on the diagram, Please let me know.

P-J

Old 07-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
P-J
Recipes 

I just realized that when I edited and changed my last response no one would be notified.

So... This post is to bring it to the top again.

Quick Reply