Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Yet Another eBIAB Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #71
lukez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If anyone is interested in adding these as well I found a good price for the meters on tmart.com (ships from the US too!). The greedy Chinese that are charging double on ebay wouldn't accept a lower offer for the same product.

http://www.tmart.com/3-Digital-Blue-...e_p117971.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #72
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

voltin- I have all my parts, just need to buy the power plugs (Spa Panel to Box and Box to Element). Had a question for you though, how much do you think the pump helps maintain the mash temp? I am debating whether I really need it or not as it would save me approx $175-200. Do you think leaving the PID on at 5% will help maintain the temps with a occasional stir?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #73
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687
voltin- I have all my parts, just need to buy the power plus (Spa Panel to Box and Box to Element). Had a question for you though, how much do you think the pump helps maintain the mash temp? I am debating whether I really need it or not as it would save me approx $175-200. Do you think leaving the PID on at 5% will help maintain the temps with a occasional stir?
The pump is a huge help and makes the brew day go much smoother. But I brewed a few batches before I got the pump without problems. I wouldn't recommend setting the PID to 5% as you have the chance of overshooting. Instead just leave it at your mash temp and be sure to stir often. Good luck!

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Nothing :(
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #74
Chris7687
Recipes 

Ok, ya I was thinking of just doing the build here and leaving a spot on the box for the pump. I will go through the brew day a few times to see if it's really necessary to me. I use an immersion chiller, so I just let gravity and silicone hoses work to get my wort into the carboy. Very excited to get this build finally going.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #75
Chris7687
Recipes 

voltin- will this mount work for the RTD sensor?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #76
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
voltin- will this mount work for the RTD sensor?

Yes, as long as you have the matching male plug. http://www.amazon.com/Female-Solder-..._bxgy_MI_img_y

Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #77
Chris7687
Recipes 

Can someone verify the electrical part for me? I am putting everything in my "cart" and want to make sure it is all correct before I buy it all.

From my house main panel I will be installing a 30A Two Pole Breaker from there I will be running a 10/3 wire to the spa panel which is a 50A GFCI. In the spa panel I am going to install a 30A Flush mount outlet which will plug into with this.

This is where I am a little uncertain:
With the male plug, listed above, I will run another 10/3 wire from the spa panel to the control box which is connected by a connector to a Flanged Inlet Locking Receptacle, correct? Am I missing something? Lastly, going from the control box to the kettle I will have a L6-30P Locking Plug which is plugged into Flanged Outlet Locking Receptacle which leads to the heating element on a 10/3 wire.

Please let me know if you see anything flawed here. Hoping to order everything by the end of the week.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #78
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Can someone verify the electrical part for me? I am putting everything in my "cart" and want to make sure it is all correct before I buy it all.

From my house main panel I will be installing a 30A Two Pole Breaker from there I will be running a 10/3 wire to the spa panel which is a 50A GFCI. In the spa panel I am going to install a 30A Flush mount outlet which will plug into with this.

This is where I am a little uncertain:
With the male plug, listed above, I will run another 10/3 wire from the spa panel to the control box which is connected by a connector to a Flanged Inlet Locking Receptacle, correct? Am I missing something? Lastly, going from the control box to the kettle I will have a L6-30P Locking Plug which is plugged into Flanged Outlet Locking Receptacle which leads to the heating element on a 10/3 wire.

Please let me know if you see anything flawed here. Hoping to order everything by the end of the week.
At first glance everything looks good. Just make sure the Nema codes line up for each plug and inlet/outlet (e.g. L14-30 in the case of the Spa panel outlet, R is for receptacle P is for plug.) Your current rating looks right. As for the breaker make sure that your panel is a Siemens panel, or is compatabilie with Siemens breakers. I believe breakers are different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Nothing :(
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #79
lukez
Recipes 

I just went through this exact process, the only thing that looks off (and maybe you just said it backwards) but the last part:

Quote:
Lastly, going from the control box to the kettle I will have a L6-30P Locking Plug which is plugged into Flanged Outlet Locking Receptacle which leads to the heating element on a 10/3 wire.
Depending how you mount your heat element, but lets assume you're doing it the same as this build or kal's method, the flanged outlet locking recep will be in your control panel and the plug will be coming from the element and plugging into the control panel via the flanged outlet.
Regardless the parts you showed for everything looked right and you're safe to order.
PS Check ebay for these plugs and outlets for cheaper price
PSS if you're planning to use the more flexible "cord" type wire between your spa panel and control box, you'll actually need the 10/4 cord wire not 10/3. For some reason 10/3 dryer wire includes the ground but a 10/3 cord wire does not (from my experience at home depot and lowes in canada)

Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #80
Chris7687
Recipes 

Lukez - You are right, I just saidit backwards. The outlet rocking recp will be in the control panel. As far as the 10/3 vs 10/4 cord, I am not sure exactly what they all look like. I have this 4ft dryer cord I was hoping to be thrifty and reuse in the build. Where could I possibly use this?

I'll have to check ebay, as I feel $30 for some of these plugs is nuts!

Quick Reply