Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Yet Another eBIAB Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #61
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Would this element work? I am looking to run this on the same control panel I am parting together, which is a replica of yours.
Looks good to me.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Christmas Ale, YHC English Summer Ale
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #62
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Awesome. Obviously that is on the lowest of the totum pole, but it is a plan for the future. As for the control box, the back plate FINALLY came in today. It was the biggest headache to get, only took 3.5 weeks! I am getting the interal components in two weeks and then I will be all set to start assembling come the start of the New Year. Going to do both my 82qt and 44qt kettle. Can't wait to go electric.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #63
Jps101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Voltin,

Great build, I have now looked at this several times. Just wondering, is there anything you would have done differently?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #64
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jps101 View Post
Voltin,

Great build, I have now looked at this several times. Just wondering, is there anything you would have done differently?

Thanks
I would definitely go with a bigger pot, the 44qt is too small for bigger beers. I would probably also go stainless instead of aluminum. I can't (or at least shouldn't) use PBW or Oxyclean on aluminum which means cleanup isn't easy and thorough as I would like. If I had used stainless then I could just recirculate PBW through the pump, valves and chiller, instead of just water. I might also consider welded fittings instead of weldless for ease of assembly and extra security, although haven't had any problems with my weldless fittings. Finally, Auber now has a braided cable of their own that I would buy instead of making my own like Kal does. I never got my cable right and I think I may have wore it out through use.

Hope that helps!

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #65
lukez
Recipes 

Great build, I'm going with the same setup, thanks for posting all your details!
I'd like to add a digital voltmeter and ampmeter like Kal but a bit confused if I can just add it (the voltmeter is up to 300VAC so should be no problem?) but the ampmeter is DC4.5-28V input. Do I need a transformer and adjustable power supply like Kal or can I just do a transformer for the ampmeter or?
I'd like to make sure the brightness of the LED is the same for both too, so do I do the same thing to both even though the voltmeter is rated high?
Anyone can give me a hand?

Links to voltmeter and ampmeter respectively:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271022616522
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160944741481

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #66
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukez View Post
Great build, I'm going with the same setup, thanks for posting all your details!
I'd like to add a digital voltmeter and ampmeter like Kal but a bit confused if I can just add it (the voltmeter is up to 300VAC so should be no problem?) but the ampmeter is DC4.5-28V input. Do I need a transformer and adjustable power supply like Kal or can I just do a transformer for the ampmeter or?
I'd like to make sure the brightness of the LED is the same for both too, so do I do the same thing to both even though the voltmeter is rated high?
Anyone can give me a hand?

Links to voltmeter and ampmeter respectively:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271022616522
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160944741481

Thanks.
I am certainly no expert on wiring up the voltmeter and ampmeter. But, it looks like the ampmeter is wired up in the same way as Kal's (http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/co...-part-2?page=9). I am not too sure about the voltmeter. There is no datasheet, or photo of the back of the device provided. It looks as if there are only two wires so it may draw its power directly for the supply it is monitoring, but based on the size of the wires shown in the picture I would doubt it. My suggestion would be to ask the seller to provide either photo of the back of the unit, or even better a datasheet in English.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #67
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukez View Post
Great build, I'm going with the same setup, thanks for posting all your details! I'd like to add a digital voltmeter and ampmeter like Kal <snip> Thanks.
This is an honest question; hope it doesn't sound like I'm being disagreeable: what purposes do an ammeter and voltmeter serve?

1. If all your electrical components are sized appropriately for the elements, pumps, bells and whistles, and the breaker back at the box is sized appropriately, what useful information do these additional components provide?

2. In what scenarios would the voltmeter or ammeter help me or provide me with some kind of warning that something untoward might be about to happen?

Respectfully,
Keith

Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #68
lukez
Recipes 

You are right, I'm adding them pretty much just for the "cool" factor, digital digits look good on the panel.

I guess I'll just plan on going with kal's setup for both to play it safe.

Thanks guys

Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #69
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
This is an honest question; hope it doesn't sound like I'm being disagreeable: what purposes do an ammeter and voltmeter serve?

1. If all your electrical components are sized appropriately for the elements, pumps, bells and whistles, and the breaker back at the box is sized appropriately, what useful information do these additional components provide?

2. In what scenarios would the voltmeter or ammeter help me or provide me with some kind of warning that something untoward might be about to happen?

Respectfully,
Keith
Neither are required for proper operation. You are right if you spec all your wires right, and ensure that it is impossible to draw too much amperage (say by having multiple elements on at the same time) they are completely unnecessary. They are pretty cool though .

Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #70
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Well, at least for a few people, the voltmeter revealed to them that they were on 3-phase 208v, rather than split phase 120/240v, lol.

Quick Reply