Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Yet Another eBIAB Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #41
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
Grab a couple all stainless nuts or something and toss 'em in the bag.
That's a good idea, I might see about that.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Nothing :(
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #42
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Ugh, it should would be nice to have a brew day that goes off without a hitch. Today was the first day that I brewed with my pump, and did a recirculating mash. Well, it turns out the bag and steamer basket greatly restrict the flow from the top of the kettle to the bottom. I ended up overflowing the pot during the mash today, probably lost about 1/2 a gallon. That, with a low mash temp, led me to have a HORRIBLE mash efficiency. Boiling right now.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale

Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #43
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Make the drain holes in the steamer basket a lot larger and your problem will go away.

There is a thread about that issue on here somewhere. The brewer used a punch set to increase the drainage.

Ok.. I searched and found it. Here is the link to the post.
Please read the thread as well as there is good info in it...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ele...ml#post3682185

Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #44
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Make the drain holes in the steamer basket a lot larger and your problem will go away.

There is a thread about that issue on here somewhere. The brewer used a punch set to increase the drainage.
Thanks P-J, I had a feeling I was going to have to do that. I am just not looking forward to it, because that is going to be a lot of work.

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Likes This 
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #45
shuckit
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Voltin,

How do you like your setup now that you've used it a bit? I'm thinking of building something similar. Do you find yourself using the alarm? Anything you would change? Thx

Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #46
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuckit View Post
Voltin,

How do you like your setup now that you've used it a bit? I'm thinking of building something similar. Do you find yourself using the alarm? Anything you would change? Thx
I love my setup. I am still tweaking my process because I keep adding components to the system. Recently it was the whirlpool fitting and pump, and soon a water filter. I will be brewing 2-3 batches next week so I will have plenty of time to dial in that process.

If I had to change something, I would probably get a bigger stainless steel pot. I have about hit the limit of my current kettle. My next setup will also have couplers welded to my kettle, weldless fittings are a bit of a pain to get water-tight.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #47
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

I was finally able to brew on my system again. I think I am finally starting to get things dialed in. For this brew I decided to up my batch size to 6G, in case I miss my numbers or I want to leave a little bit of extra wort for clarity. The only problem is that I sized my kettle for 5G batches, so I can not do full volume BIAB.

In order to overcome this oversight, I heated up the remaining water on my stove top and did a mini-sparge. This was the first time brewing when I met or exceeded all of my numbers. My pre-boil SG and OG were spot on, and I had a little bit more wort than was estimated.

The only pitfall today was that pump was working, so I wasn't able to whirlpool, and had to do a gravity chill which took a while but worked just fine. I got one more brew day tomorrow, so lets hope I can replicate the results.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I ended up modding my steamer basket to give it that swiss cheese look. It seems to help the flow, but like I said my pump isn't working so it remains to be seen how much it helped.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #48
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Voltin (sorry, don't ever see a name),

Hope grad school is going well and that you're finding time to brew. I've cut and polished a keg my son got free from his bottleshop boss and ordered weldless ball valve and sight glass. Gonna use propane first. We just put a contract on a house; the rental we're in doesn't have a convenient way to get 220V outside (wife won't let us brew indoors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltin
The only problem is that I sized my kettle for 5G batches, so I can not do full volume BIAB.

In order to overcome this oversight, I heated up the remaining water on my stove top and did a mini-sparge.
So, you're doing what the guys on the BIAB Forum call "Maxi-BIAB". http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=352

If your kettle can't hold the entire volume of water, then you keep out a certain portion and mash with as much as you can for your kettle. Then you perform 1 or 2 dunk sparges. If your kettle will allow the full boil volume, you add it at the boil. If not, you add it throughout the boil as your volume decreases.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that I'm planning on purchasing a 40-44qt kettle and will likely need to do this for beers over 1.060.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltin
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I ended up modding my steamer basket to give it that swiss cheese look. It seems to help the flow, but like I said my pump isn't working so it remains to be seen how much it helped.
Todd (thughes) was the one who posted the pics of his swiss cheese basket. He has since omitted the basket from his process because it would never allow the recirculation. Not being an engineer, I'm thinking that, when raising the bag by itself as most seem to do, the tiny holes in the weave actually stretch a little allowing it to drain more quickly. When using the basket, the bag is fully supported and doesn't stretch, so the flow will always be a bit slower. Admittedly, it just looks neater and easier to use the basket.

Regarding recirculating, I'm wondering if part of the problem is that folks are trying to recirculate too quickly. Perhaps, it should be a rather slow flow.

I'm agonizing about how to put the element onto the kettle. I don't weld, and I don't know anyone who does. I don't have a drill press to use to make Kal's mount. I may just purchase one of his pre-assembled for the keg.

Gotta get ready for work,
Keith

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #49
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Finally got around to brewing again, after a move, new job and school (still...) Everything went smoothly, hit all my numbers and the Swiss cheese mod to the basket definitely made an improvement in circulation. I ran the pump at full bore from the moment I turned the element on to heat the strike water until the boil started, and then again in the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize with no problems what so ever with it. I do think that some of my equipment, specifically the temperature probe and/or its cable got damaged in the move. I have a feeling I will have to replace them both. Got another brew slated for tomorrow, so I will update then.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #50
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hey Voltin, awesome build. I am going to replicate your build as I slowly acquire peices to do a full 3V build similar to Kals. Last night I purchased a fiberglass enclosure a little bigger then yours off ebay for $10! Well it seems it was to good to be true as the enclosure did not include a sub-panel. Question, as the box is fiberglass is it insulated enough that I do not need to ground the ground bus to metal? Can I just ground all my components to the ground bus that is just screwed onto the fiberglass? I saw your build and you have it grounded to the sanded away metal sub-plate. Please let me know if you don't understand my question.

Quick Reply