The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Wroxbrew's 20 gallon stout tank build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
WroxBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchrist View Post
Looks fantastic. A few questions if you don't mind.

How do you like the sparge arm? It certainly looks sweet (big tubes of stain tend to look that way) but wonder if you have had any clogging issues during recirculation.

What are you thoughts on the sight glasses on the BK and HLT? Glad you have them, wish you saved the money?

After a few brews, anything you wish you had done differently on the Stout Tank configurations? I know you ordered standard, but as someone going over various options, any first-hand experience would be great.
So, the sparge arm works great, but I only use it during sparging. I use a 90 hose barb and tube when recirculating the mash. It's a little tricky changing over, but I havent dropped anything into the mash yet.

I have a love/hate relationship so far with the site glasses. They really help to see progress, and keep track of how much is being used, but taking them apart cleaning them and putting them back together is a bit of a pain. Also, the one in the boil kettle has actually shrunk in diameter and leaks. John at stout is currently getting me a new one. I think it couldn't stand up to a boil for some reason.

I really like the system overall, and still thinking about what I would change if I could. Maybe in a few more brews, I'll have a more definitive answer on that. I know I would order a few more ball valves right from the start.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I would be interested in how your would set it up after the fact. This, and Kal's control panel, is my dream brewery that I want one day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
WroxBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Since this thread is starting to get active again, over the next few days I'll describe my experiences I've encountered so far with my build and what I've learned from brewing on it so far.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Wrox...paying attention to this thread so no need to PM pics, I'll catch them here.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #15
scoots
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am interested in the stout tank design/function. Any more issues with the sight glass?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Do you have any better photos of the sight glass?

Do you have a HERMS coil installed in the HLT? What are dimensions and length? Photos?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
wadefisher
Brew Meister

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoots View Post
I am interested in the stout tank design/function. Any more issues with the sight glass?
Scoots; My opinion on sight glass is 'only for HLT'. You can do the math on your kettles, find the 'gallons per inch' and use a metal yardstick and be more accurate and easier cleaning. And usually a cheaper kettle. That's an old-school trick. I don't care if I have one on the HLT, just since I don't have to clean it....

I have equipment from Stout Tanks and it is FINE!

Nice Brew Room and Nice Build.
Technique with the new equipment come's with time.

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
brewinsam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sub'd and insanely jealous

Live in Oklahoma and want to get a home brewing permit? Send in one of these to the ABLE Commission.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
WroxBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadefisher View Post
Scoots; My opinion on sight glass is 'only for HLT'. You can do the math on your kettles, find the 'gallons per inch' and use a metal yardstick and be more accurate and easier cleaning. And usually a cheaper kettle. That's an old-school trick. I don't care if I have one on the HLT, just since I don't have to clean it....

I have equipment from Stout Tanks and it is FINE!

Nice Brew Room and Nice Build.
Technique with the new equipment come's with time.
Thanks Wadefisher. I would tend to agree with your "Only on the HLT" statement. The sight glass is of most use during fly sparging. It takes a long time to do it and your adjusting pump flows in and out of the mash tun for a bit. It's nice to see at a glance the water level and judge the flow. The metal yardstick is a nice trick as you said. Currently my boil kettle glass leaks at both ends now, so I will just have to remove it and cap it off for my next brewing session. I may just leave it that way as it is a pain to clean and just get a yard stick.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WroxBrew View Post
Thanks Wadefisher. I would tend to agree with your "Only on the HLT" statement. The sight glass is of most use during fly sparging. It takes a long time to do it and your adjusting pump flows in and out of the mash tun for a bit. It's nice to see at a glance the water level and judge the flow. The metal yardstick is a nice trick as you said. Currently my boil kettle glass leaks at both ends now, so I will just have to remove it and cap it off for my next brewing session. I may just leave it that way as it is a pain to clean and just get a yard stick.
That's no good that your site glass is leaking. Are the seals broken or not sitting correctly? Have you asked John about it yet?

Quick Reply