Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Would this 120V set up work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Would this 120V set up work?

I'm currently brewing with a 10 gallon megapot can be positioned over 3 NG kitchen stove burners. I have no problems brewing indoors, but I would like to have a more permanent setup in my basement, which has a 2nd kitchen (currently w/ no appliances). I originally planned on bringing the stove with me, but I'm afraid of the "upgrade" costs that will come along that choice. I considered getting a Blichmann Burner or finding a stock pot range, but with the increased BTUs comes questions of getting proper ventilation, avoiding killing everyone with fire or CO and what my insurance would cover if I something bad did happen. Every thread I can find on the topic of basement brewing and gas involves someone defying the odds and 5 other people that recommend going electric.

I only have 120V and I'm not willing to put an extra hole into my kettle, so I realize I am not an ideal candidate for electric brewing. However, I can get 2 dedicated circuits and I have no interest in brewing more than 5 gallons at a time. The system I'm envisioning uses an induction burner, heat stick and an electric kettle, but no more than two of those at one time.

BK: 10 gallon megapot + 1800W induction burner + 1500W heat stick
HLT: 10 gallon, Al tamale pot w/ 1500W element
MLT: HERMS coil + 1500W heatstick (for strike water and the occasional step mash)

I would also need a March pump for circulating the mash through the coil.
I was thinking one of these cheaper pumps to circulate the HLT water: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/chea...v-100c-337933/

If I remove the heat stick after hitting the strike temperature, could I get away with a single PID controlling the HLT temperature or would I need a more advanced control box?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

I would just use 2 2000w elements. You would have to drill your pot, but, IMHO it would be better with 2 elements and a herms coil installed. I brewed for a long time with only 2 pots, no hlt.

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply