New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > will this work as a metal enclosure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
bagpiperjosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default will this work as a metal enclosure?

I got this free from work its about 18"x12" but its only about 2.5" deep. Its a box that holds misc screws and such. I figure i may have to mount things a little differently maybe. I have no idea of the sizes of some of the components that go into a box for an eherms system.

even if its not perfect, it sure beats the heck out of spending $100 on a freaking metal box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
l3asturd

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You'll find that almost anything you mount in the door will be either too deep or will too close for comfort. You definitely need more depth. Most PIDs are 88MM deep, or almost 3.5". Some switches and buttons are deep as well.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 123

You couldn't mount anything in that, really. PID, contactor, some buttoms. All too big.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
MaverickBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you plan an putting PID controllers then the depth is way to shallow, you don't need to spend 100 buck on a box.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can use that box, but you'll have to be creative. You could get some plastic electrical junction boxes and mount them to the back side to add depth for the PIDs, switches, receptacles and such. Bolt that box to your brew stand so that it isn't resting on the junction boxes.

If this sounds like too much work then you'll need a bigger box.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
kellzey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
You can use that box, but you'll have to be creative. You could get some plastic electrical junction boxes and mount them to the back side to add depth for the PIDs, switches, receptacles and such. Bolt that box to your brew stand so that it isn't resting on the junction boxes.

If this sounds like too much work then you'll need a bigger box.
That's really not going to work either, because you still have to access the back of all the components for wiring. You need a clear path (and space) for all of the wiring.

Much of the wire is heavy-enough gauge wire that it doesn't bend and conform that easily.

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale

Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Suggestions like this and general herd-mind thinking are why I read this board less and less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellzey View Post
That's really not going to work either, because you still have to access the back of all the components for wiring. You need a clear path (and space) for all of the wiring.

Much of the wire is heavy-enough gauge wire that it doesn't bend and conform that easily.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If the OP is lucky, PIDs and switches can be mounted on one of the sides, rather than the top. I don't have a PID handy to measure at the moment, but it's another idea to try...

Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
kellzey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hard-headed? Gee thanks!

No, I'm just realistic. Having just completed a Kal clone I realize the challenges of wiring, even in a much larger panel.

That being said, adding junction boxes defeats the purpose as you will just, in effect, be creating a larger box, which is what the OP really needs to do.

That being said, ANYTHING, is possible. I was just pointing out some of the challenges with your proposed solution.

P.S. If you don't value the opinions and input of others, then perhaps it's a good thing you are spending less time here.

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale

Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It cost me $40 for a new fibergass control panel box. It was well worth it, you don't need to have a metal one.

Quick Reply