Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Will it boil? 2 Heatsticks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
honkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will it boil? 2 Heatsticks

If I build two 1500w heatsticks, will that be sufficient to boil 7 gallons for 5 gallon batches? What is the maximum amount that could boil with two 1500w heatsticks? I use a 10 gallon thick aluminum kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It'll boil, I can maintain a weak boil on a 5gal batch with my single 2000w heatstick. For 3000W I'd guess around an hour to reach a boil. You can use this calculator to figure out how long it'll take to boil based on your water temp.

As for how much you can boil, I don't know for sure but at some point you'll just get tired of waiting for the boil to happen.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
honkey
Recipes 

Thanks... I am currently using an SP-10 turkey fryer, and I like it, but I found out what a heatstick is and started thinking I would like to brew indoors.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I tried it once with my kettle when I ran out of propane mid blizzard (brewing in a blizzard was fun). I had them made to assist but they held the boil albeit very weak boil for my 90m.

I think one thing those calcs don't cover is the size of the pot. I have an 80qt stock pot/turkey fryer and it is wider than tallMy Pot...but I got it for $80
I think that wide surface area messes with boil times as I would think since there is more exposed to the cold air above it would take more oommph to boil the mix.

But I slept my way through HS Physics

Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This post has a spread sheet that will allow you to plug in your numbers and determine your heating and boiling times. I found it very helpful in deciding what I needed for my build, and it's good to know what to expect too. Good luck.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ok-i-give-174284/

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid" John Wayne

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" JFK

Quick Reply