Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Why are controllers so expensive?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You are better at sourcing components than I am.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
for $295, this is what i see in the box...

$5 enclosure
$4 fan
$2 perf board and resistors/caps
$1 potentiometer
$10-15 for what looks like a contactor or relay of some sort
$2-6 for the power FET or whatever that is on the heatsink
$3 heatsink
$10 for the receptical
$10 for the wire+plug

thats a total of $47, not including shipping, but thats also being generous. if i was making 50 or 100 of these, i could get the materials for closer to $30. charging $248, or 525% of materials cost, just for assembly is... ballsy.

edit- forgot to count the top of the box, so add $5-10 for the switches and other receptical.
I'm guessing there is a relay in there, and it's probably 220V and 30A or 40A. That's probably $40 or more.

But it's still probably less than $100. We can only guess at the quality of the parts from what little we can see.

Certainly there is a value in having it built for you. But only if you don't consider the building it yourself as a bonus...

Old 12-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #23
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry guys, but between kids, demanding job with travel, I'd rather brew than build!

I have a very simple system from High Gravity:
Electric Kettle Controller - High Gravity
and this:
Heating Element - 5500 Watt SS - High Gravity

I mash single infusion in a cooler, and batch sparge.
I crank out 10 gal of very good AG brew in about 4 hours.

Cost was more than worth it to me.

BTW the folks at High Gravity are great to work with! Highly recommended!

God's own drunk, and a fearless man.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #24
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I built my rims panel based on theelectricbrewery and spent quite a bit less than 1200$. Mine has a BCS460, 3 elements, an aux 120v plug and many other upgrades. As with all products it comes down to 1) if you are a diy'er and 2) if you are proficient in the subject matter. 3) how good you are at aquiring parts at a good cost. I'm a diehard diy'er and I have an electrical engineering degree. I'd rather build than brew, but at the same time I was building I still had my previous propane/cooler system I could brew on.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #25
CurlyShemp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusware View Post
I built my rims panel based on theelectricbrewery and spent quite a bit less than 1200$. Mine has a BCS460, 3 elements, an aux 120v plug and many other upgrades. As with all products it comes down to 1) if you are a diy'er and 2) if you are proficient in the subject matter. 3) how good you are at aquiring parts at a good cost. I'm a diehard diy'er and I have an electrical engineering degree. I'd rather build than brew, but at the same time I was building I still had my previous propane/cooler system I could brew on.
In the spirit of the thread, how much did you spend? Roughly, don't want a full breakdown. I've been looking at this panel myself, but it's very expensive. I haven't broken it down, but the components seem pricey on their own too.

And theelectricbrewery charges $700 for assembly. $2100 fully assembled and tested. Looking at the panel, there is clearly a lot of work that goes into it. And looking at my previous solder jobs, I question my ability to properly and safely assemble it. This isn't a bookshelf, it's equipment that could be fatal if done incorrectly.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:34 AM   #26
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I spent a year budgetting 100$ per month on my brewery and beer supplies. I've tried to figure it out before and came out around 800$ (breakdown below). Even though I built it with 3 elements, I only use 2 because I don't use a HLT. I also put in an 120v Aux which I haven't used yet .. possibly for a future grain mill or hop dropper. Breakers are optional .. troll the forums and make your own decision. Voltmeter I wouldn't bother with again to be quite honest.

The only soldering was the probe wires onto the xlrs .. and its very easy. A little soldering tip .. 1) melt solder onto post 2) lay wire on top of solder 3) touch post with soldering iron .. done. You are right, electricity can kill .. if you don't feel comfortable building it .. find someone else who can .. and likes beer

PS: The forum doesn't like 18 megapixel pictures .. I'll take new ones and upload later in the week.

200$ BCS
200$ Enclosure 20x20x8
3 dssrs, 2 contactors, ethernet pass through (Free from tycoelectronics)
20$ (2) contactors
75$ (5) breakers [optional]
15$ contact blocks
75$ Voltmeter/Ammeter [if on a budget wouldn't bother with voltmeter]
50$ panel power connectors
10$ xlr panel connectors (got a 4 pack on ebay .. 1 left over)
100$ front panel switchs and lights

Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #27
aludwig
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't forget tools. Unless you already have a bunch of metalworking tools or a friend who does, it's going to cost you. I built an ElectricBrewery-like system because I had access to a lot of freebie industrial components. I didn't account for the extra hole saws, step-bits and chassis punches that it takes to the get the job done. That cost me quite a bit. I am a DIY-er like many here, so I was glad to have an excuse to buy new tools. You just need to budget for them.

One more thing I just remembered. I didn't account for wire. It's not cheap and I needed way more than I thought I would.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #28
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aludwig View Post
Don't forget tools. Unless you already have a bunch of metalworking tools or a friend who does, it's going to cost you. I built an ElectricBrewery-like system because I had access to a lot of freebie industrial components. I didn't account for the extra hole saws, step-bits and chassis punches that it takes to the get the job done. That cost me quite a bit. I am a DIY-er like many here, so I was glad to have an excuse to buy new tools. You just need to budget for them.
Or you can just take your control panel to a water jet cutting facility and have them cut it on their fancy machine, It would cost about the same as buying all the components to cut the box by hand and will be much cleaner and every thing will be straight...I sure wish I knew this before I cut my control panel.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #29
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with aludwig above, however if you can find someone with tools that also enjoys beer you can barter for the bits/tools you need. A buddy of mine was having natural gas installed for his build in his garage. The guy doing the work found out it was for a homebrewery and did the work for beer.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #30
cyclogenesis
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks all for the replies... Thinking of just biting the bullet and going for the high gravity solution... I have most of the other parts for the brewery in now and am starting to itch to get started!

Quick Reply