The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > What to do for the apartment brewer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
olefattguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I brew in my kitchen all the time. I use a 28L electric urn and maxi-BIAB for 5 gallon batches and more (I do a kind of partigyle hybrid to make an IPA of 8 liters and a Stout/porter of 15 liters from the same mash).
Electric urns are more popular here in Europe from what I gather, and I cannot recommend the combination with BIAB enough. Simple and smart.

There is even a Danish company that sells a kit for this practice:

But of course these are made for 230v and 1800W.

The urn itself:

This is a PoorMansBraumeister

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Look up JKarp's CB20.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlomo View Post
......... but is it possible to do BIAB in a keggle? Grain Bag would have to not touch the elements im assuming, but is it possible?
Yes! Not only possible but not hard at all and works well! While you can certainly build something to keep the bag off the element(s)....there really is no proven need to fire the element with the bag in the pot...skipping the mashout is fine IMHO.
If you need to raise temp a bit, simply add a quart of boiling water from the tea kettle....done and simple....once you have a little experience, this won't likely be needed or an issue IME.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
tferranti
Recipes 

I brew in the kitchen all the time on an electric stove. I used to brew extract but all grain now. i currently have 8 gal boiling. 10 gal mega pot. It takes a little longer to get up to temp but works just fine as long as you leave the cover on until boil. without the cover it will never get there. also recommend getting a different burner that is made for canning. i was using the standard burner and crushed it from the weight. canning ones are re-enforced to handle the weight. canning burner was about $15 on ebay

Quick Reply