Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Watlow DIN-A-MITE SSRs -use with Auber PID or BCS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I should have been a bit clearer and said the chromalox/watlow/crydom relays are a bit better than the china stuff. It'll work, but the quality may be questionable and if you can score quality industrial components then you'll only be farther ahead. But if you're on a budget most of the china stuff will be more than sufficient for what we are doing.

The whole SCR vs SSR stuff is a ways over my head for me to give a rundown, but the switching can be faster on SCR, is a bit more robust, and can lead to longer equipment life in some cases from what I gather. We're dealing with simple heaters and somewhat low power so we'll never realize any huge benefits other than a lifetime of brewing on quality original equipment.
These guys give a decent rundown on the principals and equipment.

http://www.sdiohio.com/Pages/Power%20Control.htm

A decent run down of the principles of the equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Cheers WPStrassburg and sorry for the thread hijack biertourist!
I know what you are saying with the China vs. non-China comment. Sometimes their QC can leave a lot to be desired, and at times it seems that the philosophy is more make crap loads for cheap so that even if we have to replace 10% on warranty we are still making more profit that scraping 20% for non-conformance! Pinto anyone?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

So the OP is talking about a SCR not a SSR then?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
What is the benifit of the SCR over a SSR?
they are not exactly comparable like that. SSRs can be made out of SCRs, or also MOSFETs or some other types of solid state switches.

most zero crossing SSRs are made out of a pair(s) of SCRs (silicon controlled rectifiers, a type of thyristor). they are zero crossing because of the fact that SCRs dont stop conducting until the current falls below a threshold level, like when the AC waveform crosses zero. SCRs are used in pairs because they only conduct current in one direction, so two are needed to conduct AC.

non-zero crossing SSRs normally have MOSFETs doing the switching, as their state is not dependant on the amount of current flowing thru it, and can turn on or off at any given time.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

See, I knew there would be a more better answer than I could give...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
they are not exactly comparable like that. SSRs can be made out of SCRs, or also MOSFETs or some other types of solid state switches.

most zero crossing SSRs are made out of a pair(s) of SCRs (silicon controlled rectifiers, a type of thyristor). they are zero crossing because of the fact that SCRs dont stop conducting until the current falls below a threshold level, like when the AC waveform crosses zero. SCRs are used in pairs because they only conduct current in one direction, so two are needed to conduct AC.

non-zero crossing SSRs normally have MOSFETs doing the switching, as their state is not dependant on the amount of current flowing thru it, and can turn on or off at any given time.

I do think the op's original SCR's would be compatible with the auber controllers, but without an exact model number it's tough to tell.

OP,
Did you have a model # of the one you were looking at?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post
SSR: Watlow DIN-A-MITE C:
Specific model: DC1C-5024-C000 Solid State Power Control 240 VAC, 50 Amp

The part # lists what I'm assuming are the most important specs:
DC (DIN-A-MITE "C" series)
1: Single-Phase
50: 50 amp capacity @50 deg C, 120-240VAC line and load voltage
24: 4.5- 32vdc "input voltage"/ "control voltage"
[LIST][*]Called a "Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR) Power Controller"[*]Supports single phase, 3 phase 2-leg, and 3 phase 3-leg operation[*]50A switching capacity[*]200KA short circuit current rating tested up to 480VAC[*]Output Firing: Zero Cross[*]Operating Temp: 50C[LIST]

I could go on and on listing specs but the full specs are listed here so I won't bother:

http://www.watlow.com/downloads/en/s...windmc1111.pdf

I think the Auber PID is a well-known quantity.

Are these two items compatible with each other?

Adam

these two items are compatible with each other, and will work just fine. 5-24vdc is a standard ssr drive signal voltage that is commonly used in industrial controls. it is a simple on-off pulse, the duty cycle is determined by the pid controller, not the ssr...

Quick Reply