New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Water level sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
rustybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Water level sensor

Hey there just checking if any of you have come up with a inexpensive sensor to control water levels , I have been looking at Pressure and ultrasonic. not too impressed with the bubble method on the brew troller. would like to here your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Gfei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i don't know, the bubbler setup looks like the best bet for accurate (and crazy cheap) volume measurement. I've got a couple pressure transducers and and 1-wire ADC's to play with when I find the time.

Chris
Damn Yankee Brewing

|Bar Build|

Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
eric_pwb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybeer View Post
Hey there just checking if any of you have come up with a inexpensive sensor to control water levels , I have been looking at Pressure and ultrasonic. not too impressed with the bubble method on the brew troller. would like to here your thoughts.
There is an alternative method to the bubbler for the BrewTroller, but you would have to be electrically heating (with an element installed through the side of the vessel); It can be seen here.

I have used it, and it does work, it just has a tendency for a small amount of liquid to find its way into the tubing.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 681 Times on 460 Posts
Likes Given: 437

I have these in my HLT. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MADISON-Liquid-Level-Switch-5DYC2?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
rustybeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yep a float sensor would work. I'm doing a 16 gallon keg setup so I want to have the options to do differnt size batches.Their has to be someone out there using some ebay used sensors like flowline.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
audger
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you could possibly do it only with an accurate temperature probe if you are using heating elements and are recirculating. you can accurately measure how many watts of power are going into the water, and you can calculate the rate of heat loss and thermal mass of the container.
take two temperature readings spaced x-amount of time apart. subtract the amount of heat lost during that period of time and factor in the thermal mass of the container. the amount of temperature change over time, plus the amount of energy input, will let you calculate how much water is in the container.

similar theory to volumetric measurements using the pressure readings of a gas. there are probably better ways to do it, and there are obvious downsides that can easily throw the accuracy off, but if those are accounted for then all you need are temperature readings, power consumption measurements and some math.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
DougyFresh04
Recipes 

I just got this in the mail last week. I havent used it yet, but it should work and only $9 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Curve-Water-Sensor-Liquid-Switch/dp/B005DJ1GZ6/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1319217254&sr=8-25

:EDIT:
I know the temp rating says only 85F, but PolyPro can go much higher than that with no ill effects. I am not planing to use it in a BK just my HLT

Quick Reply