Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > wanting to know if I'm setup for building e-brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 862 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default wanting to know if I'm setup for building e-brewery

I have this in my basement, close to the doors to the backyard.

electrical panel is about 12 feet away in another room separated by dry-walled cinderblock and the breaker for this outlet is 20A

what more would I need to be plug-and-ebrew capable?

img_8122.jpg  

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
grandequeso
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

thats a 240v 20a recept I believe. (line1&2 plus ground) most people design their systems around 30a power sources with a neutral and a ground. If its too much of a pita to run a new line over to your brew area. An easy solution would be to drop a new 30a recept directly below your panel and just make a long cord over to you brew area. At approx $2.50 per ft it won't cost too much if its only 12 feet to the panel from your brew area.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

thanks, bigcheese

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

not enough juice. if you're going to wire, wire BIG. i'd go 50amp and a 50 amp GFCI. then you can run multiple elements for heating water faster or doing back to back brews.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
BrewKit
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Depending on your requirements, this could be all you need. I've been happily brewing 5 gallon batches (~6.5 gallon preboil) in a converted keg on 120v with a 2000w element for over a year. The keg is not current controlled and is heavily insulated. There is just barely enough power to reach a rolling boil.

Is it easy? Yes. Super easy.
Is is fast? No way.

If putting in a new circuit is a major obstacle, don't let it prevent you from moving forward with the project. It can be done!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

AWESOME answers, fellow brewers, thank you

another question: I'm thinking of going with these. not sure i would need them to run simultaneously or not, but 50amp sounds ample.

what would I need to tell my electrician to do to make this work? I would guess that I just tell him to wire it for a water heater without the plumbing

Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
BrewGeek_Ohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't see the power specs on that page. Did I miss it? You need to know the power consumption and req'd voltage before moving fwd

Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

4500-watt, 240-volt

Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You can run two of those on a 50a outlet. Tell your electrician you need a 50a GFCI protected 4 wire outlet "here" (point to your desired outlet location). He should be able to figure out the rest.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Oktoberfest
On Deck: Pecan Ale