Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > waffle's brewery build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
waffle418
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken ~ Colonel Sanders
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default waffle's brewery build

Ok, I had a thread going, but for whatever reason the title wouldn't change so I'm going to start it clean.

I've got keggles set up weldless, I got the elements (2 5500 W) for Christmas last year and have been sitting on them all year. Finally got the electrician to come out Sunday and put a 100 Amp subpanel in the garage and set up the 50 Amp for starting the electric brewery. I'm going BCS as my WHOLE family no longer calls me for anything but Tech Support which is ok. I have the spare parts to build a small pc right next to the brewery to run everything and I'm going with PJ's design (huge thanks for everything you do for the electric guys) for the one below. That makes this just another build, but I'm going to try and document as best as possible.

I did have a question about what gauge wires for inside the box. I know they range greatly based upon the loads carried but I want to make sure I order enough of each gauge so I'm not running out to get more mid-build.

Thanks for all the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
waffle418

Recipes 

Put in a parts order for the plugs and the box... that went much quicker than I thought... this is not cheap

Old 09-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
P-J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Thank you so much. I really hope that my diagram helps you in your planned build. If you have questions for me - or - changes to the diagram that you might need, please let me know.

P-J

Old 09-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
waffle418

Recipes 

I am modifying it just a bit as right now I don't plan on having 4 120v only 2. Just means 2 ssr and plugs don't need to be wired up. My question is what gauge should I be I using. It's the last thing I need to order before putting the controller together.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
waffle418

Recipes 

No pics yet as its still slowly trickling in. One thing I did have a question on P-J is the best way to have the backup wall wort. Should I wire it in to the line and plug it in if the BCS goes down? Also, I'm planning on doing most of the wiring in 8 gauge, is this excessive or not enough?

Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
phlipot89
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What are the plugs for? Pumps? I would make more plugs available for elements than pumps. That way if you ever want to expand, you can easily do such by just adding an element. http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/s...occasion14.gif

Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
beluedog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle418 View Post
No pics yet as its still slowly trickling in. One thing I did have a question on P-J is the best way to have the backup wall wort. Should I wire it in to the line and plug it in if the BCS goes down? Also, I'm planning on doing most of the wiring in 8 gauge, is this excessive or not enough?
Been using the BCS for a year and its never "gone Down" although I ended up getting a regulated power supply that powers the BCS as well as the SSR's.

I use the BCS for fermentation and keezer control as well so I have the brewery controller separated out from the BCS so I dont need to worry about losing power for an e-stop.

build is here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/hel...advice-376271/

Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
waffle418

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlipot89 View Post
What are the plugs for? Pumps? I would make more plugs available for elements than pumps. That way if you ever want to expand, you can easily do such by just adding an element. http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/s...occasion14.gif
The more Beluedog mentions his build, the more I listen to questions like yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by beluedog View Post
Been using the BCS for a year and its never "gone Down" although I ended up getting a regulated power supply that powers the BCS as well as the SSR's.

I use the BCS for fermentation and keezer control as well so I have the brewery controller separated out from the BCS so I dont need to worry about losing power for an e-stop.

build is here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/hel...advice-376271/
I have an old school freezer on an ebay controller already, which WILL sit right next to the brew space. It would be an easy switch to run it all on the BCS... stop tempting me. Im already pushing the budget already Hmmm... now I want to bounce LOTS of ideas off you. I like the possibility of having control from work. I've already set up a remote smoker for 2 different family members and I envision the BCS working very much the same way. Are you able to define the port which the BCS is set at or is it like a standard 80?

How much extra did the external BCS box run, how hard is it to connect for brew day?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
beluedog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle418 View Post
The more Beluedog mentions his build, the more I listen to questions like yours

I have an old school freezer on an ebay controller already, which WILL sit right next to the brew space. It would be an easy switch to run it all on the BCS... stop tempting me. Im already pushing the budget already Hmmm... now I want to bounce LOTS of ideas off you. I like the possibility of having control from work. I've already set up a remote smoker for 2 different family members and I envision the BCS working very much the same way. Are you able to define the port which the BCS is set at or is it like a standard 80?

How much extra did the external BCS box run, how hard is it to connect for brew day?
We have ours setup to be accessible over the web. You assign BCS a static ip on the network and then set up port forwarding on your router. We use 80 but you could use whatever you want that isn't reserved for something else.
We use it to monitor ferm temps and control ramps and cold crashing as well as turning on the HLT remotely on brew day.

I didnt keep track of how much the Ferm/BCS box ended up costing as I was sourcing for both boxes at the same time, but I would guess between 150-200. I def. like having them seperate and would do the build the same way if I were to do it again.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
waffle418

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beluedog View Post
We have ours setup to be accessible over the web. You assign BCS a static ip on the network and then set up port forwarding on your router. We use 80 but you could use whatever you want that isn't reserved for something else.
We use it to monitor ferm temps and control ramps and cold crashing as well as turning on the HLT remotely on brew day.

I didnt keep track of how much the Ferm/BCS box ended up costing as I was sourcing for both boxes at the same time, but I would guess between 150-200. I def. like having them seperate and would do the build the same way if I were to do it again.
So, you run the temp probes into the BCS box, then from the BCS box, you run a cat5 into the controller box to turn on and off the SSRs to fire your elements? I'm wanting the ability to fire both at the same time, hence the 50 Amp setup, would I need to run 2 seperate cat5s to the controller box or could i use 1 still and just split the cables? I'm trying to visualize the adjustment because I'm interested. It may be something I do further down the road though as I've sunk about as much as allowed into the system already.

Quick Reply