Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > ventilation/Condensation
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
augiedoggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Tonawanda NY
Posts: 1,401
Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John53189 View Post
2.5 gallons on a boil? That's crazy boil off, do you have an ebrewery? I know I dialed in my auber to run in manual at 55% ( on/off ) during the boil. I adjust it when it's at 208 degrees...
the norm is about a gallon an hour for my 5 gallon batches...you want a vigorious boil to break down the hop oils...I was not getting this when I had a weak boil on my stovetop...
Most all grain batches have at least 2-4 extra gallons of wort to boil down after sparging... since my efficiency is around 85% with less I dont use as much sparge water as the recipes suggest but still end up with 1 1/2-2 gallons of extra water to boil down in a 5-5.5g batch.
I sometimes dial mine down to around 40/50% in manual mode and sometimes just set it to 212 and leave it.... it seems to work just as well either way.
__________________
augiedoggy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
kenh
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 256
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeskneesbrew View Post
Does anyone have any issue with me building a a condensation collection system? I dont have a window to vent out. I was thinking about getting/ making a hood that was piped to a bucket? Does this sounds crazy?
I had an issue when I brewed in my kitchen - all the cabinets would steam up, but the problem went away when I moved to the basement. I sold my stove top gear to a friend and he only sees condensation in the cabinet above his stove, must be the way my kitchen is laid out.
__________________
kenh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
John53189
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John53189's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
the norm is about a gallon an hour for my 5 gallon batches...you want a vigorious boil to break down the hop oils...I was not getting this when I had a weak boil on my stovetop...
Most all grain batches have at least 2-4 extra gallons of wort to boil down after sparging... since my efficiency is around 85% with less I dont use as much sparge water as the recipes suggest but still end up with 1 1/2-2 gallons of extra water to boil down in a 5-5.5g batch.
I sometimes dial mine down to around 40/50% in manual mode and sometimes just set it to 212 and leave it.... it seems to work just as well either way.
That makes sense, do you usually hit your pre-boil OG or do you boil a little more to get it at the end? I am newer to all grain so I am a bit inexperienced. I know with my 10.5 gallon pot and a 5.5 element I am overpowered and can easily boil off 2 gallons an hour (preparing for the future upgrade in pot size).
__________________
John53189 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
augiedoggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Tonawanda NY
Posts: 1,401
Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John53189 View Post
That makes sense, do you usually hit your pre-boil OG or do you boil a little more to get it at the end? I am newer to all grain so I am a bit inexperienced. I know with my 10.5 gallon pot and a 5.5 element I am overpowered and can easily boil off 2 gallons an hour (preparing for the future upgrade in pot size).
I aim for 7-7.5 gallons in the bk after sparge and about 5.5gallons after boiling ...I have only done 4 batches so far on the new system but they have all come out with a higher gravity than the recipe range indicates... still fine tuning things between each batch. I'm fairly new to AG myself with only 6 AG batches under my belt so far.
__________________
augiedoggy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
NuttyProf21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 82
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Just an FYI a lot of commercial kettles do exactly what the OP is suggesting. The condensation stack goes up then makes a U-bend to the floor. The one thing that they do is mist cold water into the stack

__________________
NuttyProf21 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LandoLincoln's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 2,255
Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John53189 View Post
2.5 gallons on a boil? That's crazy boil off, do you have an ebrewery? I know I dialed in my auber to run in manual at 55% ( on/off ) during the boil. I adjust it when it's at 208 degrees...
Yes I do run electric. My 25-gallon pot is quite wide (about 19.5") so that's why I get a lot of evaporation.
__________________
www.jolietbrewersguild.org
LandoLincoln is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
John53189
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John53189's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Yes I do run electric. My 25-gallon pot is quite wide (about 19.5") so that's why I get a lot of evaporation.
That's a big pot...awesome.
__________________
John53189 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with ventilation! Cgreen042389 Other 5 08-16-2012 08:23 PM
Ventilation Guthrie Wine Making Forum 3 04-10-2012 12:18 AM
Ventilation GRHunter Brew Stands 6 02-18-2011 08:16 PM
How's this for ventilation? wildwest450 Equipment/Sanitation 5 11-25-2009 03:40 AM
Ventilation El Cazador General Beer Discussion 3 04-18-2006 12:58 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS