Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > two temp probes, one PID?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default two temp probes, one PID?

The needles on my dial thermometers are sticking. I'm considering going digital with an RTD or thermocouple instead.

Is there a device that can just read the temperature of the thermocouples? I mean, I just want the readout, not a temperature controller.

Or can I wire two thermocouples to a single PID and use a selector switch?

Just looking to go digital to replace the dial thermometers as cheaply and nicely as possible. I have two vessels and neither is dedicated to a single purpose, hence two thermocouples.

Thanks.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your Dial or Analog thermometers will be the most accurate reading you can get. Digital is great for controlling pumps and valves but brewers usually set these 2 or 3 degrees higher or lower to compensate for the difference between the digital readout and the analog thermometers as they rely on the Analog as their primary reading device.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bought these.
Digital Temperature Meter for RTD PT100 Sensors (F/110) | eBay
They are what you are looking for. You hook up a rtd to them and they simply display temp. I haven't got them In the mail yet so I can't tell you about the quality.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
wadefisher
Brew Meister
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I bought these.
Digital Temperature Meter for RTD PT100 Sensors (F/110) | eBay
They are what you are looking for. You hook up a rtd to them and they simply display temp. I haven't got them In the mail yet so I can't tell you about the quality.
Hey JRems, I liked the look of those, I just bought some. will post back when I recieve them.

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadefisher View Post
Hey JRems, I liked the look of those, I just bought some. will post back when I recieve them.
I bought a couple as well. As for the accuracy, I think the RTD is is pretty accurate more so than a thermocouple, from what I hear. Hey, if it's good enough for my RIMS tube it should be good for strike water and letting me know when I'm close to boiling.

Thanks for the tip on these.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Quick Reply