Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Two with One

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #11
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i used the connectors at auberins.com for the HLT/BK PID when I switch my power cord from vessel to vessel I switch the temp probe cord

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm_rx7 View Post
Yeah that's true. My reason for wanting it is only to see how close to boil I'm getting, and maybe to monitor temps during cooling and whirlpool. Might now be worth the hassle, and extra hole in the Kettle.
If you are using RTDs, you could put a 3-pole, double throw switch (3PDT) in the box to select one probe or the other. RTDs are more tolerant to long wires and switches/connectors in their path than thermocouples are, so it would probably work.

But, remember.... each temp probe might (probably?) have a static error on it. I've used a couple of different probes and they all had different error values, from 0.5*F to 2.5*F. You can program the PID to account for the error, but if you are switching probes, then they could each have different error values.

But, if the BK probe is just to estimate how close to a boil you are and how close to pitching temps you are, then maybe the error on that probe can jus tbe left as an error and you can tune the PID for the other probe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS