Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Two Elements - 30A?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
mattmauriello
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Silver Spring MD
Posts: 77
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

sorry, i have to mention this...
does your dryer outlet have 3 or 4 terminals? If its only 3 terminals, then the one that is not hot is ground, NOT neutral. if yours has 4, then you're gravy.

If its a 3 wire outlet, the you REALLY should not try to use one side for 120V. find a normal 120V outlet nearby and use that. it should draw about 11.5 A, which should be OK on most hosehold circuits. (15A seems to be pretty common im my experience). you can still use the dryer outlet for the 240V element without an issue though.

__________________

I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinkin'! -- Peter Griffen

mattmauriello is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmauriello View Post
sorry, i have to mention this...
does your dryer outlet have 3 or 4 terminals? If its only 3 terminals, then the one that is not hot is ground, NOT neutral.
The NEMA 10 style of plug and receptacle (common on dryers) is defined as a 240V non-grounding system. That third wire is neutral, and the appliance is effectively grounded through that neutral. That wire will carry current during normal operation if the dryer has 120V items on it (like lamps or buzzers or whatever).

NEMA 10 is kind of a weird one that has exceptions for dryers and stuff in the NEC. The NEMA 14 style (hot/hot/neutral/ground) will probably eventually replace the NEMA 10, but there is still a lot of NEMA 10 out there and it's considered OK.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
mattmauriello
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Silver Spring MD
Posts: 77
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Walker,
Sorry if my post was wrong, that was just was i was told, and made enough sense to me.

Would it be appropriate to mention that you should at least check the 3rd wire for its gauge? I would be afraid that if it was a 3-wire cable pulled for the dryer, that the 3rd wire might be a smaller gauge (which i have seen in a few runs, since it was intended for grounding only) and may not be safe for the current draw needed for the element.

Again, sorry for the 'chicken-little' post previously if it was inaccurate.

__________________

I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinkin'! -- Peter Griffen

mattmauriello is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmauriello View Post
Walker,
Sorry if my post was wrong, that was just was i was told, and made enough sense to me.
No worries. I had it wrong for a long time, too, and assumed that the third wire was ground. I don't even know what prompted me to look more closely at it a few weeks ago, but that's when I learned that it was neutral and not ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmauriello View Post
Would it be appropriate to mention that you should at least check the 3rd wire for its gauge? I would be afraid that if it was a 3-wire cable pulled for the dryer, that the 3rd wire might be a smaller gauge (which i have seen in a few runs, since it was intended for grounding only) and may not be safe for the current draw needed for the element.

Again, sorry for the 'chicken-little' post previously if it was inaccurate.
Yes, it's probably a good idea to check the wire, but the third wire is not mant as ground only. It carries current for the 120V items and should be a properly shielded wire. It *might* be smaller gauge, but it seems like it would be more of a PITA for a contractor to run 2 heavy wires and then separately run one thin wire for the neutral.

but you never know....
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
mattmauriello
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Silver Spring MD
Posts: 77
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

that all makes sense. The only reason I mentioned the gauge was because I've seen jacked 3 wire where the 3rd un-insulated ground wire was definitely a smaller gauge (found it at home depot, so it can't be terribly uncommon).

but just as every knows in this forum, when it comes to electricity, better safe than sorry. thats the only reason I mentioned it.

__________________

I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinkin'! -- Peter Griffen

mattmauriello is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmauriello View Post
that all makes sense. The only reason I mentioned the gauge was because I've seen jacked 3 wire where the 3rd un-insulated ground wire was definitely a smaller gauge (found it at home depot, so it can't be terribly uncommon).

but just as every knows in this forum, when it comes to electricity, better safe than sorry. thats the only reason I mentioned it.
Yeah.... it's common to use a smaller (and often unshielded bare copper) wire for a connection to a receptacle that is a ground connection. Ground wires should never carry current under normal circumstances.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've been using HWD Elements for a while now. p-nut Electric Brewing 18 05-04-2011 08:53 PM
Mounting Elements in Keggles Cpt_Kirks Electric Brewing 3 04-02-2011 10:38 PM
Help! New EBK burning elements Arazcamaro Electric Brewing 25 02-18-2011 03:40 PM
Do elements HAVE to be LD/ULD? mattd2 Electric Brewing 27 12-13-2010 11:57 PM
Running Elements in a series JVD_X Electric Brewing 2 10-13-2010 06:25 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS