Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > TRI-clamp herms coil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
bhchrist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What are you using for your element enclosure? Your set up is nearly spot on to what I have been researching, minus the fermenter. I have been leaning towards using the element adapter from Brewers Hardware (LINK) and using a pass through vs. Stout fitting, which I assume does not come with a similar cap with built in grounding screw. Of course, the BH adapter is now on back order.

Also, does the HLT have a recirculation fitting to prevent stratification? It wasn't shown on the web site, but it looked like it was present on your tank from the photo.

It looks great, and I hope you don't mind some more questions that will certainly arise!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks again.
Former New Englander...... Damn those Red Sox! Ugg. what a pissa of a season!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
WroxBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchrist View Post
What are you using for your element enclosure? Your set up is nearly spot on to what I have been researching, minus the fermenter. I have been leaning towards using the element adapter from Brewers Hardware (LINK) and using a pass through vs. Stout fitting, which I assume does not come with a similar cap with built in grounding screw. Of course, the BH adapter is now on back order.

Also, does the HLT have a recirculation fitting to prevent stratification? It wasn't shown on the web site, but it looked like it was present on your tank from the photo.

It looks great, and I hope you don't mind some more questions that will certainly arise!
No problem. Thats why we're here. Below are the links to the encloser and watertight conduit I used. I just pulled the 10/2 wire through it. The conduit has wire in it in the picture, but that is not the case. I purchased a circle cutter from sears (20$) to cut the hole, but you will need a drill press to use it. Otherwise a greenlee punch will do the trick. The electrical box has a grounding lug inside, so you can just use that to ground the kettle.

That element adapter looks like the bomb though. If I had known I probably would have gone that route.

My HLT has the "Herms" option which is used to recirculate the mash liquid from the mash tun. The mash tun has no direct heat. It should keep stratification to a minimum and because your recirculating during the mash, theres no need to vorlauf before sparging.

You can get it or a "rims" module if you prefer.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Boxes-Conduit-Fittings-Boxes-Brackets/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbohnZ1z11evgZ1z11epfZ1z10zorZ1z116vfZ1z116vk/R-202284525/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100163598&R=10016359 8

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Boxes-Conduit-Fittings-Conduit/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbohl/R-203424766/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
bhchrist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wrox,

Nice work on the enclosure. Know thy self: I am going with the adapter! This is a blog from Norway showing it in greater detail (LINK).

I will likely go the HERMS route as well. Sorry for the confusion, my question on the recirculation pertained to the HLT, not the MLT. As you are recirculating your mash through the HERM coil, the concern (from what I have been reading) for stratification is in the HLT itself. By recirculating your future sparge water, you keep the temperature more uniform across the coil.

This is all from reading, not experience, so anyone who can chime in if this is a real world issue for 5 to 10 gallon batches on a HERMS, I would love to hear it. Most of the builds I have seen recirculate the HLT water.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
WroxBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

That adapter is cool. Nice find. I will probably replace my franken boxes down the line with those. Anyway, I'm totally new to all this high tech gadgetry, so I don't have an answer for you on whether it's a real problem to consider. You could do it with this HLT with 2 pumps. One recirculating the mash through the herms coil and one recirculating the water through the outlet and inlet. There are four triclamp fittings on the thing besides the site glass. When I get it up and running I'll see how it goes and compare just mash recirculating and both.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
WroxBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
Thanks again.
Former New Englander...... Damn those Red Sox! Ugg. what a pissa of a season!
Yeah, not a good season. I work in the area, and the funny thing is all the resteraunts and bars are having a banner year! It seems everyone is hanging eating and drinking and arriving late and leaving the games early. But here come the Pats!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I miss living up there! But when I was up there the sox were the good ole sox, fold after the All-Star game and never won it all. The Pats were the same. Figure I leave the area and look what happens!

Brew on.....

Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

That is some most beautimus gear. Clean shiny stainless all gleamed and blinged for a batch of happiness. Good luck with it when you finish it all up.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
bdjohns1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The cheap way to do a TC fitting on a herms coil is to buy a coil from your vendor of choice, then drill out two TC caps to match the OD of the tube, and either silver solder or silver braze them in place.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I believe brewers hardware sells tri clamps with compression fittings welded to them

One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Quick Reply