Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Tri-Clamp heatsticks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Bleach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tri-Clamp heatsticks

We finally finished our heatsticks and used them for the first time last weekend. We built one 120v 2000w, and one 240v 5500w. The 120v is just powered on/off with an inline switch. The 5500w is controlled with an Auber PID an SSR.
The most difficult part was getting the half couplers soldered into the endcaps.
We used 2" TC fittings from St Pats. The upper body is 1" stainless nipples and 90's.
Thanks to everyone who posts their projects, we took a little inspiration from many contributors. Thanks to PJ for posting his work. Were still working on a final design for the Home Brewery, but simplicity is leading us to a 3 tier gravity system and we may even end up boiling in our Stout 20G conical.

120v.jpg   240v.jpg   boil.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks very similar to the one that I made except I used 1/2" ss tubing and swagelok fittings for the rise and bend. Which part did you solder on, I am having trouble seeing it...

Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
aNYbrewery
a New York brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelorax121 View Post
Looks very similar to the one that I made except I used 1/2" ss tubing and swagelok fittings for the rise and bend. Which part did you solder on, I am having trouble seeing it...
Can you post pictures of your design? I'm trying to build something like you both have built but haven't finalized the design yet. Also, show me how you attached the element to the tri-clover fitting or what ever you used?

I love my current heatsticks but I'm using the "pieces of a toilet" design at the moment which is no where near as cool.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBrewClub View Post
Can you post pictures of your design?
+1. It seems fairly straighforward, but I'd like detailed shots. Did you pot the connections?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Me Likey! Here is mine, a forum member did the welding for me. I had a local machine shop tap a 2" Tri-Clover endcap for 1" NPS.

cimg0012.jpg   cimg0013.jpg  
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Me Likey! Here is mine, a forum member did the welding for me. I had a local machine shop tap a 2" Tri-Clover endcap for 1" NPS.
I really like that idea Wyazz! Simple and should be cheaper than a full 2" tube. Less dispersion too!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
I really like that idea Wyazz! Simple and should be cheaper than a full 2" tube. Less dispersion too!
I can't take credit for the design, it was all Airbalancer.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry I can't pu up pics of my design, I am in Malaysia/ SE Asia for the next year+ so I don't have access to all my equiptment back in the states. It was a pretty simple design though.

I just took a 1.5" tri elbow connected to a 1" FNPS on one side and a 1'2" FNPT. The element screwed into the NPS fitting, extending horizontally from the elbow while the npt was oriented straight up. From here I just attached a 1/2" npt to compression fittiing that was attached to a length of 1/2" ss tubing. I put an elbow compression fitting about 22" up the tube to bend it over the side of the kettle, and the added a waterproof switch box (with a grounding nut) at the end to be able to shut off the heatstick immediately in case of boil overs etc.

I hope that explains somewhat, let me know if there is anything that I can clarify

Quick Reply