Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > TJTHEBEST's E-BIAB Build!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #41
TJTHEBEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Possibly changing directions. After the whole 3/4 wire dryer debacle ive decided that maybe i should try a little bit safer of a way to do this.

I discovered i have one of those breakers that is a 20 amp breaker but has 2 of those switches on it. as shown in the picture with the breaker labeled service outlet.

This feeds two receptacles that are right next to each other. My question is: Can i use those 2 receptacles in order to build a control panel with (2) 2,000 watt elements? What im unsure of is if these are 2 separate circuits.

This would be the wiring diagram that i would like to follow.

What say you all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #42
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You want to use two separate 20 amp GFCI circuits to feed your panel.
Try this:
* Pick one outlet
* Turn off the breaker for this outlet
* Find another outlet that is still powered on, this is on a different circuit.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #43
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just ordered all my auberins stuff and bought most of what i need to build 2 heatsticks. Now i just need to figure out if i can wire in a timer the same way as my original plan.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #44
Jps101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

TJ,

Was reading this with great interest...until you had to go the other route. Maybe you can answer a few questions I have. You said you were going to go the recirc route, had you considered a RIMS set-up? Or, did you find this unnecessary with the element in place in the kettle? Here is a question I am searching for an answer to...why do you need to have a power switch to the PID, why can't it be on 100% of the time? IF there is no power to the Contactor, via a switch who cares if it sends a signal to the SSR? Just wondering.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #45
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jps101 View Post
TJ,

Was reading this with great interest...until you had to go the other route. Maybe you can answer a few questions I have. You said you were going to go the recirc route, had you considered a RIMS set-up? Or, did you find this unnecessary with the element in place in the kettle? Here is a question I am searching for an answer to...why do you need to have a power switch to the PID, why can't it be on 100% of the time? IF there is no power to the Contactor, via a switch who cares if it sends a signal to the SSR? Just wondering.
I went with Recirc because its alot simpler than RIMS and does basically the same thing. The PID power switch is basically just a Unit on switch. Instead of it just turning on when i plug it in. This could be bad if you acidently plug it in while the elements are not in water.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #46
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

P.J., if you're still following along, im trying to figure out how to add in a timer and the 3 way switch to the new diagram with the 2 elements. It seems to me, and i could be completely wrong, that there is several ways to wire in the timer/alarm/buzzer. It just seem like on the two diagrams that are up in this thread that you are using differing terminals.

If you could help me by updating the drawing with the 2 elements to add in a timer and a 3 way switch to switch between the timer alarm and PID alarm that would be great.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #47
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Most everything should be here tomorrow. Can anyone help with wiring in the timer?

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #48
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTHEBEST View Post
Most everything should be here tomorrow. Can anyone help with wiring in the timer?

Thanks,
Sorry. I'm up to my ears is 'stuff' of year end.. It will take me a little while to get even and reply.

P-J

Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #49
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

All my auberins stuff came. Well except for my emergency stop switch which i apparently forgot to order. I noticed that the EPO switch on the diagram i am using says to add another module switch box. My question is which one do i buy, an NO and/or NC?

thanks,

TJ

Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #50
beluedog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTHEBEST View Post
All my auberins stuff came. Well except for my emergency stop switch which i apparently forgot to order. I noticed that the EPO switch on the diagram i am using says to add another module switch box. My question is which one do i buy, an NO and/or NC?

thanks,

TJ
NO although i believe the Auber modual comes with NO and NC contacts

good luck

Quick Reply