Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > three vessel vs biab

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
jean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thank you all for the answers, seems that size can be an issue when brewing biab (actually speidel have 200liter and also 500 liter) equipment...i think i will continue with three vesle, mainly because i allready know the process.
Thanks again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I'm a big fan of 1 and 2 vessel brewing setups but don't even consider BIAB on larger batches. You'll hate it. Beyond the mess and weight of it all, it also really takes away the spirit of BIAB. Instead of just using a bag, you need to have a basket so you don't keep ripping bags, then a winch, etc it just makes it just as complex as adding a proper mash tun IMHO.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
I'm a big fan of 1 and 2 vessel brewing setups but don't even consider BIAB on larger batches. You'll hate it. Beyond the mess and weight of it all, it also really takes away the spirit of BIAB. Instead of just using a bag, you need to have a basket so you don't keep ripping bags, then a winch, etc it just makes it just as complex as adding a proper mash tun IMHO.
I do mostly 5 gallon BIAB batches, but I could certainly do a 10 gallon batch without a basket, a winch, or a real worry about the bag ripping. I slide a round grill grate under the bag when I lift it, so I can rest it over the kettle. Works for me. Another trick is to drain the kettle into a bucket or two before lifting the bag, if you need to lighten the bag before lifting.

I have posted this before but here is 26 lbs. of grain and 12 gallons of water in a 15 gallon pot, yielding 6 gallons of a high-gravity RIS our club brewed a couple of years ago for the Big Brew Day. I tend to be well suited for lifting heavy things.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Another option that i went with and currently making is a 2 vessel electric Brutus 20, its a little less expensive than a full 3 vessel, and similar in style to BIAB. I use to do BIAB before I started building this setup

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Quick Reply