Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Switchcraft's plug and outlet option

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
runs4beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post

Wow, REALLY?!? Ok, you convinced me I'm going to use another set of switchcraft plugs to go between the control panel and the spa panel -if it's as easy as just using a bit of olive oil it's definitely worth staying with the switchcraft connectors.

Adam
Well, I didn't have a problem with MY 10/4 that I couldn't solve w/ a little oil but that being said I did have a little trouble with one of the lengths 10/3 I bought. I'm going to guess that there might be some difference in diameter in all the different cord stocks, they all might not be the same in diameter. I got two length of 10/3 at the same HD about a month apart, installing the switchcraft plugs went fine on the first but the second required a little oil (this was the one I did to start this thread).

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #32
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My 10/4 looks just like your 10/3 and was also from Home Depot. I'm not so sure that the 10/4 will fit. -This makes getting the whole connector together very, very difficult. (But again going to the elements there's no reason to use anything other than 10/3.)

Adam

Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #33
runs4beer
Recipes 

Yep, I think that's the point I'm trying to make; all the 10/4 and all the 10/3 SOOW Neoprene-Jacketed Power Cable may look and function the same but they may have a slightly different outside diameters maybe even in the same roll. So, just to be safe you may want to bring the cord end plug to HD or where ever you're buying your cable stock from and ask to test the plug body and compression ring first. I didn't do this but with a little lubricant I was able to get the compression ring and body to slide on the 10/4 with out a problem.

-DB
Others look for fights
-RH

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #34
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you're actually using Sxxx then SJxxx might better serve your need in this case. It's smaller diameter, generally.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #35
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dumb question... Why does it matter which end of the power cable goes to your control panel and which goes to your element?

It is just a wire making a connection between the two, no?

What am I missing?

Chris

Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #36
runs4beer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goybar View Post
Dumb question... Why does it matter which end of the power cable goes to your control panel and which goes to your element?

What am I missing?

Chris
To answers your question it doesn't matter which end of the cable is plugged in the element or CP.
But if one was, for some reason was to plug the main power supply into an output outlet (power supply TO the element) then bad things might happen. For me I really don't see how I would make this mistake, I set up my equipment before I power up. The power in is on the top left side of the CP and the power out for the elements and pumps and the RTD probes are all on the bottom of the CP. If I were to have to unplug and re-plug during a brew session then maybe I'd want to have something to physical prevent this.

-DB
Others look for fights
-RH

Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #37
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you, I couldn't understand why it would make a difference.

I haven't gone electric yet, but working it all out.

As you said, I would power anything up until setup was complete.

I do like your method of having the power into the panel located differently than the power out, just in case..

-chris

Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #38
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

subscribed

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #39
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goybar View Post

What am I missing?

Chris
It doesn't matter.

If you have a 4 wire cable for going from the spa panel to the control panel an separate 3 wire cables for going to your elements, you need to know which is which but it doesn't matter what end goes where. -Some folks have implemented solutions to prevent them from accidentally connecting the power cable coming from the spa panel (the "power in") into a power-out connector on the control panel -I'm guessing that this is what you're referring to.

(I simply located my powerin on the left side of my box and the power outs on the bottom -I also color coded everything with colored electrical tape.)

adam

Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #40
jbnla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ordered the Moser HPCP41F1 for the panel and the tabs are very small in relation to the plug. On investigation I determined that the the tabs on the plug are .250 and on the panel I ordered is .187. I then found there is a panel with the same tabs as the plug (.250). It has the same number but with the 1 left off the end #HPCP41F. Did you use the smaller tabs in your panel and electric box ? They are rated the same just smaller. However if you wish to connect to a crimp I'm not sure I can easily fine a .187 connector rated for 12AWG. Did anyone else deal with this ? Should I reorder the .250 or does it really matter. Also the panel does not have the plastic X separating the 4 tabs as the plug.
Any advice would be appreciated as I am still gathering parts and info.
Also would love to see pics of your latest new connection.
Thanks for a great addition to the E-Build.

Quick Reply