Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Switchcraft's plug and outlet option

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some different colored electrical tape on the ends of the cables or different colored braided sleeving over the cables would differentiate the cable. Then mark the corresponding outlets on the box with the same colors so you know which cable goes where

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

We beat this around quite a bit in the http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/sho...you-do-212079/ thread. Runs4beer did get this answer directly from Switchcraft: "The connectors are rated for 50 A (for the Fast-on terminal type) and 1500 VAC rms. There should be no problem with the customer's application."

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

Switchcraft certainly stands behind using the HPC (High Power Connector) series for this type of use. In addition to the email cited above, from the product sheet:

Markets
• Loudspeakers
• Power audio amplifiers
• Medical
• Process Controls

From the specs:

High Power Connector, 30 A Current Rating, Silver-Plated over Copper Alloy Contact Material
30 A Rating Per UL 1977 on PC Mount Versions
50 A Rating Per UL 1977 on Faston® Versions
1500 VAC (RMS)

I am still a bit leery of power inlets and outlets with the same configuration, but I might consider using the panel mounts as an inlet to the control panel and an inlet to the element. With a NEMA 14-30 plug on the other end of the control panel power cord, and a NEMA 6-30 plug on the other end of the element power cord, even I could not screw that up.

Edit: I could also use it as an inlet to a spa panel with another 14-30 plug on the other end.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

colored heat shrink I'm sure it can be found other places but this is just one source i found on line quick Google search
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshr...o1adhesive.htm

maybe a clear option you could make labels and protect them under it.

PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE RISING COST IN AMMO PRICES I WILL NO LONGER BE FIRING A WARNING SHOT.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh@t by the clean end."

Beer
It is the drink of men who think
And feel no fear nor fetter
Who do not drink to senseless sink
But drink to think the better
Anonymous

Old 11-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah, I saw all that on their website but it still doesn't seem to say they're actually UL approved/listed for AC mains application. I see UL 1977 but I don't have a UL book to know what that specifically entails.

It mainly stems that since Neutrik doesn't recommend/approve AC mains for their speakON, what makes the physically interchangeable Switchcraft version different in this regard?

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
jmrieger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs4beer View Post
Yes, 4 brew session, come Friday 5. J; how many for you 8-10?
Excellent. Looks like with that and the manufacturer's approval I've found my preferred connectors.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
runs4beer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Yeah, I saw all that on their website but it still doesn't seem to say they're actually UL approved/listed for AC mains application. I see UL 1977 but I don't have a UL book to know what that specifically entails.
UL 1977:

1.1 These requirements cover single and multipole connectors, intended for factory assembly to copper or copper alloy conductors or printed wiring boards, for use in data, signal, control and power applications within and between electrical equipment.

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
whoaru99
Recipes 

Yeah, saw that too but that's just overview. Doesen't say anything about the test methods or approval criteria.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #18
mateomtb
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
Yeah I was going to use these but it's going to compromise the rest of my systems UL rating. lol

Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
whoaru99
Recipes 

Yeah, lol.

Compare something like a NEMA 14-50 connector and the contact sizes vs. those Switchcrafts. Ehhhh...

Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
runs4beer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

whoaru99, certainly don't use anything that you're not comfortable using. They are rated for this application and that rating has been approved by The UL for this application. How does The Underwriters Laboratory go about testing that something will meet the ratings the manufacturer states? I'm really not sure but it's methods are accepted by OSHA for what that's worth...
Are there product out there with a higher rating, more contact area? I'm sure of it, there's a lot of products out there with different prices tags and it is up to you to choose what you want to use in your build by what you're comfortable with and fits the budget.

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Quick Reply