Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > switch terminology

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
bruin_ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default switch terminology

Looking at the selector switches on pioneerbreakers and getting confused about what some of the terminology really means.

For example, this switch:
http://www.pioneerbreaker.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PBC-SS22PMA-3

It looks like there are 4 terminals - so with 2 NO contacts I understand that if the switch were turned left, it would close the left contacts and similar for the right. How about hooking up the third connection? I don't see a Common on these things is I guess what confuses me. I was thinking it'd be sort of like a 3 to 1 or like a single pole triple throw basically - but doesn't look like that. I know alot of you have used these exact switches, can anyone clarify?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Never used these exact switches but it looks like it has 2 NO contact blocks so you can have two different power sources feeding the two different NO contacts if you like. Or you can use one power source and jumper from one NO contact to the other. There are 3 positions, left closes one contact, right closes the other contact, middle both contacts are open.

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Okay, was wondering if that was how that one worked. I guess I'd have to add another contact block to that switch to get what I'm looking for. Right now it's more like DPST.

I guess if I were to add an NC/NO contact block I could get a three to one type switch.
Thanks, I think I get it now.

Another sort of related question, I'm not clear how the illuminated switches work (like the ones Ohio-ed used). Do you run a separate voltage across those to illuminate them, or does it illuminate when it is selecting something with the appropriate voltage across it?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
bruin_ale
Recipes 

just thought about the switch a little more.. if I add a NC/NC contact and add that to a 3 way selector - then wire both NC in series it'll only pass current when the switch is in the middle spot.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Maybe it would be better for you to explain what you are trying to do with this switch. This may make it easier for others to help you with your problem.

I'm not familiar with the illuminated switches that OhioEd uses but there are various types of switches that all illuminate differently. Some only illuminate when a position is selected (this would be powered by the same feed to that contact) and some are constantly on (these could be a separate power feed or jumpered to your contact(s) to power all of them.)

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
just thought about the switch a little more.. if I add a NC/NC contact and add that to a 3 way selector - then wire both NC in series it'll only pass current when the switch is in the middle spot.
Good on yah! Thats exactly how you would wire the middle position of the switch. to get all three positions you need 4 contact blocks, 2NO and 2NC.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
Maybe it would be better for you to explain what you are trying to do with this switch. This may make it easier for others to help you with your problem.

I'm not familiar with the illuminated switches that OhioEd uses but there are various types of switches that all illuminate differently. Some only illuminate when a position is selected (this would be powered by the same feed to that contact) and some are constantly on (these could be a separate power feed or jumpered to your contact(s) to power all of them.)
I think I talked myself into the solution eventually, but just for clarification what I'm trying to do is get a 3 position switch to work where one of the positions isn't "OFF"

Basically, I plan to use it as an element select switch:

BK - Auto - HLT

Where auto is controlled by a BCS.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Good on yah! Thats exactly how you would wire the middle position of the switch. to get all three positions you need 4 contact blocks, 2NO and 2NC.
Thanks, it's funny how different this type of stuff is to my job as an electrical engineer. I work in semiconductor design, mostly digital logic - so it's really a whole different ball game. Alot of the concepts carry over which helps in understanding, but that's about it.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
Thanks, it's funny how different this type of stuff is to my job as an electrical engineer. I work in semiconductor design, mostly digital logic - so it's really a whole different ball game. Alot of the concepts carry over which helps in understanding, but that's about it.
Yeah no kidding. The specialization requirements for EE's is such a double edge sword.

What you're describing is an HOA switch. Typically Left is Hand (Manual On) middle is off, and right is Auto (BCS). It's done that way so you are no more than one click away from off. In an emergency situation you may not want to go from Auto->Hand->Off. Say Auto isn't calling the device to turn on but there is wort leaking onto the element terminals, having to go to Hand would cause a dead short at a minimum.

Just some insight, it is your system at the end of the day

Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
bruin_ale
Recipes 

This is just the select switch, there is (or will be) a separate switch for On - Off - Auto on the element itself.

Quick Reply