Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electric Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/)
-   -   Supplementing with a heat stick (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/supplementing-heat-stick-271700/)

brian74 09-29-2011 05:25 PM

Supplementing with a heat stick
 
I typically do a partial mash on the stove top and boil ~3 gallons. The boil never gets going as well as I would like so I am considering adding a heat stick to the arsenal. Obviously, I would not need one that could carry the whole load of the boil, just something to help out. Any suggestions?

wyzazz 09-29-2011 05:32 PM

1500W (which is typically as low as you'll find at the big box stores) should do just fine, if you're pot is large enough you should be able to maintain a full boil (6gals or so) using the stove and heatstick. If you are doing just the ~3gals you will likely be able to get by with just the heatstick. The 1500W heating element will run on any standard 15A GFCI protected outlet with a little room to spare.

djt17 09-29-2011 06:39 PM

In the winter; I use a 1500W heatstick with my stove. It boils 6 gal just fine.

brian74 09-29-2011 08:05 PM

Thanks, I've seen heating elements in the store...is this something I will have to wire a plug on or are heat sticks sold ready to go?

MalFet 09-29-2011 08:24 PM

A plain heating element will require some wiring and properly a fuse.

Consider something like this: http://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-Premier-742G-Bucket-Heater/dp/B000BDB4UG

I used one to help boil 7 gallons on my stovetop for a while.

djt17 09-29-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian74 (Post 3341869)
Thanks, I've seen heating elements in the store...is this something I will have to wire a plug on or are heat sticks sold ready to go?

I made one using these instructions; http://www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick, also search heat sticks on these forums.

IffyG 10-14-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalFet (Post 3341921)
A plain heating element will require some wiring and properly a fuse.

Consider something like this: http://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-Premier-742G-Bucket-Heater/dp/B000BDB4UG

I used one to help boil 7 gallons on my stovetop for a while.

Does that work as is? If so, that's a fantastic find.

MalFet 10-14-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IffyG

Does that work as is? If so, that's a fantastic find.

Yep. I've got one. It's not terribly powerful (1000W, I believe), but it's enough to bump up a burner to boil. Works out of the box.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.