Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Suggestions for controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #91
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 412

AdamCanFly,

After thinking about it some more, I'd say two strips will definitely provide enough connections. One of the problems though is that the way I had them crammed in, the crimp connectors would run into each other making it necessary to separate them out a bit. With two strips, you'd free up some of that space so it'd be easier to use both sides of the strips allowing plenty of connections.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot, if you go the terminal strip route, make sure they're rated for 30 amps for this project. The bus bars I linked are rated at 100 amps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #92
AdamCanFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

J's, I got my package in the mail today. Thank you VERY much!! I will put it all to good use!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #93
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome!

I just made a stir plate today and got a starter going to brew with the new controller on Sunday! I'll take some pics of the basement laundry room brewery. It's not much, but I have a vent fan and water filter set up all in the same spot. I'm hoping things will be a bit easier.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #94
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Using controller

I finally got some brewing in today!

Since I built this controller I've had to get my brew area prepared for the maiden voyage. I set everything up in the basement laundry room which had a painted concrete floor that kept flaking off so I had to strip that first and then I had to relocate a bunch of junk. I got all of that done, set up a vent fan out of my dryer outlet and a shelf for the controller and the variac that I'm using to control my fan's speed. I set up a water filter in the area as well. I ran out of money for now so I ended up using a garden lounger for my stand (it's stronger than you'd think!) and I currently have unfinished walls though the vent fan seemed to take all the steam out.

The controller worked great and being that it got up to 96º today, I'm really glad I was inside.

When I was cleaning, the GFCI tripped. Apparently the pump, it's cord or plug was getting wet. I unplugged it and reset and everything was fine.

I brewed a two-hearted-esque IPA today.

In the pics, you'll see that I set up the vent so that I can move it directly over either the HLT or BK.

There's a lot I'd like to improve in my setup overall. I'd like to go to a HERMS at some point and with the new controller that should be pretty easy.

Here's some pics:

controller.jpg   setup.jpg   fan-setup.jpg   mash.jpg   sparge.jpg  

Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #95
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A few more pics:

first-batch.jpg   boil.jpg   chill.jpg   pitched.jpg  

Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #96
AdamCanFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome! Does it make things easier? Is there anything you would change on the controller? I can't wait to get mine going!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #97
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It does make things easier because you can do other things while your water sits at whatever temp you want and can control everything from one spot. It also heats faster than my propane setup, and of course I didn't have to worry about whether I had enough gas or not. Not being outside was nice too. I would've sweat to death outside today.

I can't think of a thing that I'd change on the controller at this point other than getting the labels I ordered on there. It functions just as I'd hoped.

I think the HERMS thing might be interesting. I like the idea of controlling the mash temp constantly. I made an error today when I forgot that I left some water in the pump and lines from the night before and I pumped it into the mash tun. It knocked my strike temp too low so I had to boil some water and replace some in the tun before adding my grains. It cost me a lot of time.

The other advantage would be doing a mash out. It's hard to get the grain bed temp up as high as I'd like with my first batch infusion sometimes. Today was one of those days. It still went pretty well though.

One down side to brewing inside. Cleaning is a little trickier. It was easier to just hose everything off in the yard before, but given the heat today it was a good compromise. It just took two trips outside.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #98
zacc
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Looks good jsguitar, glad to see the first brew session on it went well!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #99
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks zacc, I'm completely out of home brew so I'll be brewing next weekend too. I can't let myself run out again!

Funny thing, last night just after I posted we had a power outage. Omen? Hope not. I hope that never happens when I'm brewing!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #100
Tuzlo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguitar
Thanks zacc, I'm completely out of home brew so I'll be brewing next weekend too. I can't let myself run out again!

Funny thing, last night just after I posted we had a power outage. Omen? Hope not. I hope that never happens when I'm brewing!
Out would come the generator.

Quick Reply