Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > StrangeBrew Elsinore - Raspberry Pi based brewery controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
ajwillys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I've been thinking about this some more. Given my current setup, I think this would be more beneficial to me for use in fermenting and keezer duties. I have a keezer that's connected to a Ranco and a fermenting fridge that's also connected to a Ranco. Inside the fermenting fridge I also have a reptile heater for in the winter. I could connect all these of these for control by this thing and free up my Ranco's for other duties. Have you thought about adding the ability for cooling as well as heating? What about heating and cooling (two SSR's) controlled by the same thermometer?

EDIT: I could maybe help out with this part. I have a decent amount of experience in Java.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
DougEdey
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
Have you thought about adding the ability for cooling as well as heating? What about heating and cooling (two SSR's) controlled by the same thermometer?
I have thought about it, I think it just needs to be a change that if greater than the target temperature we can enable the cooling functions.

It's something I was looking to do with a different setup which'd be able to measure the liquid in a keg (for a keezer) to determine the amount of liquid and show drinking levels

Old 03-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Out of curiosity, what happens if the pi loses connectivity? Is the control algorithm on the pi itself or on the server?

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
DougEdey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
Out of curiosity, what happens if the pi loses connectivity? Is the control algorithm on the pi itself or on the server?
The Pi is the server, android is the client. When I have the web UI (and Strangebrew itself) working, you'll be able to control the controller from anywhere.

Long term plan is:

Prepare recipe in Strangebrew
Send mash/water details to the server
Server will control mash temperature so it matches the recipe.
Monitoring/Controlling from Web UI, Strangebrew, Android, BB.

Monitor via web so you can show people what you're doing (include a webcam too)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Spintab
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey View Post
The Pi is the server, android is the client.
Ahhhhh. Gotcha. I have something similar going using a FEZ Panda and network shield. I have a hand controller with a joystick and lcd that can control the FEZ locally and without connection to the net. Then I have an asp.net site w/ sql database that receives json the same way your pi is getting it from the android client. Every time the FEZ sends data up to the web server, it looks for settings changes made from the asp site and sets itself accordingly. When I sat down to design the whole system it was absolutely crucial for me to be able to control everything with the hand control or the net ui, possibly simultaneously. Sounds like you'll end up having this by default but just something to keep in mind as you move forward.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
DougEdey
Recipes 

The way this works is it only changes settings when it receives a valid POST set of data, so it'll run continuously if you don't turn it off.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
EZCyclone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Subbed!!! Doug, I have a software background if you would like some help! I have done some Android SDK work as well.

Just hittin rocks with hammers, it's how we do it.
~~~~
Galactic Geonauts Brewing Co.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galact...577265?fref=ts
Come say hi on Facebook and "like" the effort!

In fermentors: 8 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine
In Bottles: Chocolate Stout, Hoppy Wheat Amber, Tripple IPA, Red Beer, Malty Goodness, Heffe, Cider

Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Spintab
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I'm ready to jump in on this project. I want to just control one element for an electric HLT. I have the Raspberry Pi already. I'm thinking all I need is the following:

SSR - http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&produc ts_id=9
SSR Heat Sink - http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&produc ts_id=45
Temperature Probe - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11050

Obviously I'd also need wires, project box, etc... I'm just thinking the "main" components. What am I missing? Is there a place I can buy all this at once to save shipping?
A little piece of advice. While your on auberins site, grab a float switch. 15 bucks now will save you 15 the first time you accidentally leave the element on after the hot water has run out.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
DougEdey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
A little piece of advice. While your on auberins site, grab a float switch. 15 bucks now will save you 15 the first time you accidentally leave the element on after the hot water has run out.
Yup, I learned this too, I'm adding a scale to determine water volume (and grain weight) in the vessels and will be adding an auto off below a certain value

Old 03-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
DougEdey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCyclone View Post
Subbed!!! Doug, I have a software background if you would like some help! I have done some Android SDK work as well.
I'm always happy to take assistance.

Quick Reply