Stock gasket on heater element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldogBrewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm installing the element on my eHLT and can't get the lock nut to thread if I leave the stock gasket on the outside of the sanke keg.

Do you guys just remove it, or do I need to just muscle that sucker on there?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you are doing. The standard gasket should remain in place. It provides a face seal between your kettle and the element. There should be plenty of the threaded portion of the element sticking through the kettle for the lock nut to easily thread on to it.

Now the question. Are you also using an o'ring between the lock nut and the inside kettle wall? If so - don't do that. The o'ring is not necessary.

IMHO

Ok - what I did was remove the gasket so the o-ring would work. I couldn't get the locknut to thread with both.

I'll try it without the o-ring or just keep trying.

Thanks.

+1
The stock gasket forms a seal between the element and the outside of the kettle, sealing it up. The internal o-rings is not necessary.

My setup is a little different than yours, as my locknut is welded to the outside of the keg, however, I tried using the red o-ring and mine also leaked. Then I wrapped some Teflon tape around the threads and used the black gasket that came with the element. Works like a charm.

Make sure you don't over-tighten the the element onto that black gasket.

TB

I had the same issue trying to use the stock gasket and the oring on the lock nut. I ended up rolling the stock gasket and ruining it. What I ended up using was a red oring on the lock nut along with a red oring on the threads outside where the stock gasket was. That worked great with no leaks.

I had the same issue trying to use the stock gasket and the oring on the lock nut. I ended up rolling the stock gasket and ruining it. What I ended up using was a red oring on the lock nut along with a red oring on the threads outside where the stock gasket was. That worked great with no leaks.

How are you grounding your kettle?

I use a 3 prong dryer cord that has ring terminals on it. I took the ground terminal and bolted it to the bottom support of my keg using a large self tapping screw.

Back