Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > stilldragon.com DIY Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
photolimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default stilldragon.com DIY Controller

I am looking into using this setup but I am seeing mixed reviews about the effectiveness of a Potentiometer and Solid State Relay. It seems people think it only turns it on and off and does not actually give you the "precise heater control" they claim on this product.

Anybody using this setup? Success with holding a controlled boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It looks just like a DIY version of the one that Highgravitybrew sells for $250. I have that one and it works great! If this one had been out several months ago I might have gone that route, however, I'm very happy with the one I bought. It has no problem with controlling the heat. I crank it up for my EBIAB pot until it reaches 160 which only takes about 15 minutes. I turn it off and every 15 minutes check the temp, a few seconds is all it takes if the temp drops. After I'm done with the mash out of the grains I crank it up to get a rolling boil, if I turn it down the boil stops and I can control the intensity of the boil with the knob.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Swamproad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I built one using a SSR and potentiometer. Works great. The SSR, heat sink, and pot was less than $20 including shipping.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolimo View Post
I am looking into using this setup but I am seeing mixed reviews about the effectiveness of a Potentiometer and Solid State Relay. It seems people think it only turns it on and off and does not actually give you the "precise heater control" they claim on this product.

Anybody using this setup? Success with holding a controlled boil?
When you say people think it only turns it on/off they are correct, but it is doing this really fast (at 60 times a second) at this fast it is basically giving pricise control depending on the duty cycle it is set to (the potentiometer)

Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
photolimo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamproad View Post
I built one using a SSR and potentiometer. Works great. The SSR, heat sink, and pot was less than $20 including shipping.
Can you post a photo of the build with links?

Would most of these work on a 120v system? From what I have gathered, you can safely downsize if your amperage is in check.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
cliffhanger1821
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/my-planned-ebiab-keggle-cheap-simple-controller-404174/
What you are describing is what I did, here. I ordered the Kyotto ssvr and pot from eBay ($11), then went to Lowe's for the 10/3 wire ($20), plastic enclosure ($8), 30a motor switch ($10), and strain reliefs ($1). I think my heat sink was from Auber ($15), but you could order one from heatsinkusa.com just as easy. That being said, it doesn't seem to me that stilldragon's price is that bad. Lemme know if you have any questions that I can help with!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Having built one of these things from scratch I would say the StillDragon kit is worth the money. Apart from anything else it has a money back guarantee.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
ccbadd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone else ordered one of these? I ordered two weeks ago and nothing yet. I'm starting to get a little worried.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbadd View Post
Has anyone else ordered one of these? I ordered two weeks ago and nothing yet. I'm starting to get a little worried.
I have ordered others things from them, they are pretty slow. Dont worry your stuff will show up.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbadd View Post
I have ordered from them as well and I'll agree they are slow. After a couple weeks I prompted them by Inquiring what the status of my order was (nicely) by email and magically it shipped that day.
SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Quick Reply