Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Steam hood thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
mrlisk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steam hood thoughts

I eventually will be running an all grain electric setup in the workshop area of my barn and will need to get the steam out somehow. Given the availability of 30" standard range hoods on craigslist, I was considering purchasing a couple of them and putting them together to make a steam hood, probably using pop rivets or machine screws, which would give a total length of ~60".

I was thinking I'd gut the built in fan/motor and install a 6" metal duct through the top of each, connect them at a wye and have a single duct running through a 6" vortex fan and out of the building.

What do you think?

On deck: Black Bear Honey Porter
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Empty :(
Keg 2: Grandpa's IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you mean something akin to this

works well for my electric so far, condensation will build up on the range hoods some but not bad.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
mrlisk
Recipes 

exactly what i was thinking. only thing different i'm looking to do is pair up two hood and have them meet with a wye before the fan. Do you see any way of collecting the condensation, or are the angles on most hoods not really suited for doing so?

On deck: Black Bear Honey Porter
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Empty :(
Keg 2: Grandpa's IPA

Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

angles of the hood arent the greatest, but i actually mounted mine a at a little of an angle, it actually slants to the left a little bit, if i did it again i would but a biger angle on it

Old 01-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
kernal74
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlisk View Post
I eventually will be running an all grain electric setup in the workshop area of my barn and will need to get the steam out somehow. Given the availability of 30" standard range hoods on craigslist, I was considering purchasing a couple of them and putting them together to make a steam hood, probably using pop rivets or machine screws, which would give a total length of ~60".

I was thinking I'd gut the built in fan/motor and install a 6" metal duct through the top of each, connect them at a wye and have a single duct running through a 6" vortex fan and out of the building.

What do you think?
That's a nice idea actually. I am also building a brewery in my barn here in CT and bought a vortex fan recently and just picked up the duct work from HD today. I am going to build a hood out of wood and cover it with shower board so it is cleanable and protects the wood. Someone else mentioned doing this same thing and covering the wood with a water sealer of some sort. Your way seems cheap and easy.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

It's possible that the steam hood is not necessary, IMO. I'm doing 10 gallons batches with just an increaser on the end of my ducting. No moisture issues at all. Then again, I'm really only heating strike/sparge water and boiling in the far keggle, so my ducting is quite close to the moisture source.

Still, my feeling is that a large enough fan is changing the air out the room at a pace that does not require a hood.

Am I wrong about this?

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
devilbrewer75
Recipes 

I thought about getting a large rubbermaid container cutting it short and hanging it. I bought a speed controller and it says not for use with brushless motors. How do I know if the vortex is brushless?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
bullywee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I do 20gal batches and use almost the same vent set up as above - I have a 8" Active Air fan (720CFM) and some 8" ducting over my BK. The fan is a beast no condensation issues whatsoever it doesn't have a chance to collect, for the $$$$ the Active Air fans are great.

IMO you don't need a hood you really only need to vent the BK, the HLT and MT can have lids on. But if your set on a hood with the right fan I don't think condensation will be an issue

Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
zacc
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's my steam hood. It's made of 1"x2" for the frame and 2' square plastic light panels. I stained the wood and spray painted the panels then used ducting tape along the seems. This was a pretty cheap build, maybe $30-$40.

hood-closeup-20110924.jpg   hood-inside-20110924.jpg  

Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Still, my feeling is that a large enough fan is changing the air out the room at a pace that does not require a hood.
It really depends on the airflow in the room (from the make-up air entry to the exhaust), to fan placement/speed, etc.

I tried without a hood in my original brewery setup and I was getting condensation on the walls in the corners without the vent hood.

So I had a vent hood built.

Kal

Quick Reply