Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > started making electric plans, wondering why spa panel is necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
-TH-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default started making electric plans, wondering why spa panel is necessary?

After doing a little bit of searching, I see that code requires 240V appliances such as water heaters to have a disconnect box OR a lockable circuit breaker in the main box. My rig will be right down the hall from my main box, is there any reason I can't just use a lockable GFCI breaker in the main box and skip the spa panel?

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
After doing a little bit of searching, I see that code requires 240V appliances such as water heaters to have a disconnect box OR a lockable circuit breaker in the main box. My rig will be right down the hall from my main box, is there any reason I can't just use a lockable GFCI breaker in the main box and skip the spa panel?
The reason I recommend the Spa Panel is that it is based on cost. Sometimes the cost of a GFCI breaker for the mains panel is way over the top and could cost over $150. You can get a Spa Panel from HomeDepot for about $55.

Regarding the GFCI - I firmly believe that it is a critical safety issue and must be in place to protect you. You will be working in a wet area after all and for that it is required by NEC.

I hope this makes sense.

P-J

Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
The reason I recommend the Spa Panel is that it is based on cost. Sometimes the cost of a GFCI breaker for the mains panel is way over the top and could cost over $150. You can get a Spa Panel from HomeDepot for about $55.

Regarding the GFCI - I firmly believe that it is a critical safety issue and must be in place to protect you. You will be working in a wet area after all and for that it is required by NEC.

I hope this makes sense.

P-J
Ok thanks P-J. No question I will be using a GFCI circuit breaker. The decision I'm trying to make is where to use it.

I can get a 50amp GFCI for my main panel (Square-D QO250GFI) on ebay for $85 shipped. That's still more than the $55 spa panel but to make a fair comparison I would also need to get a 50 amp breaker (non-GFCI) for the main panel right? which for me is about $15 so that makes it $70 vs. $85. So I guess the spa panel is still the cheaper way to go like you said plus I think it would be more convenient to have the breaker near the brew-rig so my decision is getting easier...

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet

Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
P-J
Recipes 

Your last comment is right on the money.! This way you would have no hesitation to deliberately trip it when things seem to be going wrong.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
bgarino
Recipes 

Can I use the 50 amp spa panel and a 30 amp breaker in my electric panel. My system is a based on 30 amps. 30 amp Gfi breakers are way to expensive. Will my panel and myself still be protected.?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarino View Post
Can I use the 50 amp spa panel and a 30 amp breaker in my electric panel. My system is a based on 30 amps. 30 amp Gfi breakers are way to expensive. Will my panel and myself still be protected.?

Thanks
Yes and absolutely. Your best bet is the Spa Panel that HomeDepot offers.

P-J

Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
bgarino
Recipes 

Thanks pj

Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
-TH-
Recipes 

One more question, does the spa panel have to go on a dedicated circuit by code? Or could I wire it into the 30A 240V going to the garage which has its own sub panel and very little demand (garage door openers and lights). I would use a junction box right outside the main panel box.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
One more question, does the spa panel have to go on a dedicated circuit by code? Or could I wire it into the 30A 240V going to the garage which has its own sub panel and very little demand (garage door openers and lights). I would use a junction box right outside the main panel box.
Personally, I would not hard wire the Spa Panel. I would use it as a plug in device to an existing outlet.

If you need to install a new outlet, you should pull a permit and then have the work inspected.

P-J

Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
raskal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just went through this, ended up with a dedicated GFCI breaker in the box. It was about $25 more then a spa panel, but it made my install much cleaner, and if/when I move It will be easier to remove. Good luck!

Quick Reply