Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > SSR wierdness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Protto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just to clarify, the light and element needs to be in paralel not in series, if that was your inension. One end to SSR and the other end to your neutral leg. For both the lamp and element.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Putting the lamp in series would be great in theory and do exactly what the OP wants. In reality, I really doubt you are going find a 30A indicator lamp.

Putting the lamp in parallel with the element means the lamp is going to come on when you unplug the element. It's that way for everyone, unless you put a power resistor in parallel with both, which is a waste of power to fix a cosmetic problem.

I wired my indicator lamp in parallel with my element, and also wired an LED to the low-voltage side of the SSR. In normal operation, both of them blink exactly the same. When I unplug my element, the 240V indicator comes on but the LED stays off.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
terodox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok, I can live with that. Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
tphjr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
Putting the lamp in series would be great in theory and do exactly what the OP wants. In reality, I really doubt you are going find a 30A indicator lamp.

Putting the lamp in parallel with the element means the lamp is going to come on when you unplug the element. It's that way for everyone, unless you put a power resistor in parallel with both, which is a waste of power to fix a cosmetic problem.

I wired my indicator lamp in parallel with my element, and also wired an LED to the low-voltage side of the SSR. In normal operation, both of them blink exactly the same. When I unplug my element, the 240V indicator comes on but the LED stays off.
You could wire a 1/2 Ohm 10 Watt resistor in series with your element then wire a 12 Volt indicator lamp across the resistor. The light will come on any time the element is on and you won't even notice the 6 Watts of power lost to the resistor.

Quick Reply