Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > SSR, Contactor? both? help me K.I.S.S

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
mavrick1903
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default SSR, Contactor? both? help me K.I.S.S

I talked to an Elect-Eng friend and he was of the impression my ideas (gleaned from this board) were overly complex, but we did not have a chance to go over the actual schematics. Doing an Auber PID build (first electric build). Planning on a RIMS with an IGLoo for the mash tun.

Here's where I'm a little fuzzy:
I plan on one PID for the RIMS if I do go with RIMS. do I need a second for strike? I plan on having a 240v element for the boil kettle, the second PID would be for that?
Also, do I need to do an SSR, or a contactor, or both?

I guess part of the problem is I'm on the fence regarding if RIMS is the way or Fly Sparging?

Help? I've been doing tons of reading, and still seem to be confused...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It really sounds like you've got some process and equipment terminology mixed up. RIMS is a mash temp maintenance system/process. It really has nothing to do with how you sparge. Are you asking if you can use one controller for RIMS and for controlling the HLT for heating water? Possibly, but you'd want to be able to heat sparge water while you're running the RIMS so no, not in that case. However, if you're running a single vessel system like a BIAB, I suppose it's possible.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

edit: damn... bobby beat me to it.

RIMS (or HERMS) and fly-sparging are orthogonal concepts. You can do a RIMS or HERMS mash and then fly-sparge if you want.

The RIMS/HERMS are just ways of maintaining your mash temp precisely throughout the duration of the mash.

If you have an insulated cooler, the benefits of HERMS and RIMS are greatly diminished because those coolers will hold the temps very well for a 1 hour mash.

If you are after electric heating and not the recirculating mash systems, then a single PID and SSR controlling a heating element mounted in a kettle is probably what you want.

That will give you the ability to heat water to a desired temp in that kettle as well as maintain the strength of a boil in that kettle later in the process.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Walker

Recipes 

side thought...

I've seen a lot of comments lately with the same confusion about RIMS being related to sparge, and I think that is coming from people looking at the Brutus 20 systems. Those are RIMS systems, but they are also no-sparge systems.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
mavrick1903
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
side thought...

I've seen a lot of comments lately with the same confusion about RIMS being related to sparge, and I think that is coming from people looking at the Brutus 20 systems. Those are RIMS systems, but they are also no-sparge systems.
so, a Brewtus 20, would use 2 pots, heating both, and recirc the mash through a coil in the BK, and are no sparge?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick1903 View Post
so, a Brewtus 20, would use 2 pots, heating both, and recirc the mash through a coil in the BK, and are no sparge?
Nope. They do not use a coil. mash liquid is pumped into kettle and kettle liquid is pumped into mash. What you are describing would be sort of like a no-sparge HERMS (which I am tempted to try on my system one time just for kicks).

Here's Brutus 20 info: http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/brutus20.html

That one shows both MLT and BK being heated with flame, but you could do it by only heating the BK with an electric element.

At the end of the mash you just stop the pump that is going back into the MLT and let everything end up in the BK.

You could also do this with a single pump, but you would need a second tier so that gravity could handle one part.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Walker

Recipes 

should have added more about the no-sparge HERMS...

I have thought about trying this for a few weeks now. I have a 15 gallon MLT and a 15 gallon electric boil kettle. I am considering adding all of my water to the MLT and doughing in and then pump it through my HERMS coil with just enough water in the electric kettle to give my coil a bath.

When mash is done, toss out that hot water in the kettle and pump everything from MLT to kettle for the boil.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Walker

Recipes 

nevermind... I am a total idiot. I didn't fully read that brutus 20 page.

He does separate mash and sparge steps, it's just a little different in that he does a recirculating mash with just a portion of the water, and then the sparge is done letting all of the liquid in both tanks flow back and forth for an hour.

So....

just f*cking ignore me.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Right, Brutus 20 is a direct fired RIMS for half the brew session, but then it becomes like single vessel BIAB but spread across two vessels for some reason. The only advantage I can see is that you can dial in a specific mash thickness other than full volume if that's an feature you wanted.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
warehousebrewery
Recipes 

Id highly recommend using a contactor. They're fairly cheap on ebay. I got three for the price of one new one. Knowing that the element is off when I flip the switch is a good piece of mind for me. I'd also recommend using dual SSRs if you're using 240V. That's another topic of discussion.

Quick Reply