Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Software for drawing circuits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Software for drawing circuits

I truly am trying to do as much research as possible before asking you guys for your time in helping me build an E-BIAB control panel. I've been studying several of the circuit diagrams that have been posted, and I'm understanding things much better now.

I would like to know what software program you are using to create these beautiful circuit diagrams.

Thanks,
Keith

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
abarnett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm in the same position : want to draw things out before I build it. I tried the SmartDraw trial, but I didn't like it (couldn't change connection points, seemed difficult to define custom widgets, not free after 7 days). XCircuit looked like too much trouble to install. I have Visio, but not installed and I'm too lazy to find the CD. I ended up going with Dia (Dia draws your structured diagrams: Free Windows, Mac OS X and Linux version of the popular open source program), which is basically a Visio clone. You can't define connection points in Dia, either, but I worked around that by using single-pixel lines. My diagram turned out ok, and it's certainly easier to manage in Dia than Paint.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used paint... it sucks but gets the job done... I couldnt find any that were not really expensive or complicated

Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used Adobe Illustrator for mine. It is both really expensive and complicated, but I use it for work so it was readily available.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Christmas Ale, YHC English Summer Ale
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Microsoft Visio is commonly available and effective. Standard drawing programs can be a serious pain when you need to make changes.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Try Sketchup. Can't beat the price. There's even an Electrical Components plug-in. I haven't used the plugin but I can vouch that Sketchup is awesome.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations. I was starting to feel a little down. I had posted a question or two a couple days ago and hadn't heard a response. I tho't that I had checked a box to be notified by e-mail if I rec'd a response, but I haven't received one. I happened to check the thread on which I had posted the question, and there was a very good response from the OP.

There haven't been many patients in the clinic today, so I've had some time to surf some more thru the "Electric Brewing" section. I found a couple setups that are almost exactly what I will need.

Thanks again. I may end up scanning something I draw and posting for any questions.

Keith

Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
wadefisher
Brew Meister

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use Smart Draw. I have it for doing some other projects and it works pretty good for schematics. Easy to learn, takes time to master. I was surprised though that I was drawing schematics within minutes.

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
I truly am trying to do as much research as possible before asking you guys for your time in helping me build an E-BIAB control panel. I've been studying several of the circuit diagrams that have been posted, and I'm understanding things much better now.

I would like to know what software program you are using to create these beautiful circuit diagrams.

Thanks,
Keith
Keith,
Tell me what you want to accomplish with your system and the power/components that you will be using. I'd be more than willing to draw a diagram for you.

BIAB? I probably already have one that might fit your needs.

P-J

Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Thanks

P-J,

Thanks for the offer. You must love doing these drawings. I've communicated with thughes regarding his E-BIAB build. He said that you were a great deal of help to him. I've greatly enjoyed studying your schematics and have learned a lot from them. My other hobby involves pipe organs. Mine has about 800 pipes with each one having a magnet valve running on 12VDC. I've had to learn a little more about electricity since my college physics days.

From the threads I read today, it appears that your schematic for Voltin dated a few weeks ago is the closest to what I will need. I would like to post two new threads - one with question about my design concept and another simply asking for some help with terminology - before I put you to the trouble.

Thanks,
Keith

Quick Reply