New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > So who's worked in their main electrical panel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Aaron1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What I have done in the past when I needed line power shut off to the main panel is call the utility company. For a fee they will come out and pull the meter and come back after you have the work inspected (unless an inspection is not required).

Primary#1: Zombie Coffee Stout
Primary#2: T-Virus Coffee Stout (Party-Gyle)
Secondary#1: Nothing
Secondary#2: Nothing
Aging: Honey Bucket Ale, Cloud 9 Semi-Sweet Mead
Drinking: Various Micros for Bottles
Coming Soon: Cloud 9 Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Everything's been answered but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
If you have to ask those kinds of questions... GET AN ELECTRICIAN!!!
+1. If you have to ask, please don't go anywhere near your panel. While it's fairly straight forward work for many people and many don't have issues recommending someone do it, not everyone has the same knowledge or common sense about these things. So when someone asks the question that basically amounts to "should I do it" I would hope that everyone's answer would not "no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
I have worked on my panel before. As long as you pull the mains you are good.
It's not just about working safely while the panel is open, it's making sure you actually wire things correctly so that you hopefully never have an issue after the power is back on too. Poorly done work in the electrical panel can cause issues the moment you turn the power back on, the next day, or 10 years down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Bad taping, loose and missing wire nuts, no lid on the junction box, cellulose insulation compacted into it, exceeded box fill, missing wire clamps and improper insulator choice (3x single conductor pole-ethylene high voltage wire instead of 3-wire NM).
A great example on how many things done incorrectly can lead to a fire: Loose/missing wire nuts can cause wires connections to loosen over time which causes resistance to build up because of charring, which in turn causes heat, and then because of wrong wire type and no cover and exceeding box fill, the heat heats up insulation in close proximity which catches fire.

It likely worked perfectly for years.

Same reason you shouldn't mess in your breaker panel if you have any doubts or have to ask any questions.

I myself have done work in the panels of all the houses I've own but I've always pulled permits and had it inspected. If you do any work, do the same. The cost of permitting is not expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevreh View Post
Makes you wonder if the money you spent on the pre-purchase inspection was worth it or not Not to keep you up at night, but I hope they didn't bury anything (open wiring) in the walls.
No home inspector does invasive inspection. It's only what they can see.

Kal

Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #23
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I'm very comfortable with working with electricity, but my comfort level stops at the panel. I'll second the recommendations to call someone. I just set up an appointment with an electrician. I need a 20A for a new pool...but it'll be convenient to discuss possibilities for a couple circuits for a brewery.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
dannylerch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I am an electrician in the film industry. We tie in to breaker boxes all the time. Remember, amps kill not voltage. Plug in power in this order. Green(Ground), White(Neutral), Red, Blue, Black. Always end the sequence with your hot legs. Make sure you don't have a knee on the ground, make sure you are wearing rubber soled shoes, make sure your feet aren't wet. ETC, basically you don't want your body to complete the circuit. If you have any doubts, hire a professional, preferably an electrician who is in a union. Because if they aren't union, they are probably a hack.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
kevreh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

I myself have done work in the panels of all the houses I've own but I've always pulled permits and had it inspected. If you do any work, do the same. The cost of permitting is not expensive.

Kal

Good point Kal. People unfairly view (county) inspectors as a nuisance, but they can provide a good (and relatively cheap) 2nd set of eyes to make sure things are done safely and correct. This applies to other things too (framing, plumbing).

Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #26
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's not only about getting a second set of eyes either, it's about liability as well.

They sign off that the work which means if ever (god forbid) something was to happen and cause a fire or other issue that requires investigation, the insurance company will have less issues paying you because the work was inspected.

If an insurance company can prove that a fire was due to something done incorrectly that *YOU* did yourself and you did not pay for permiting or inspections, then they have cause to not pay out. I'm not saying they wouldn't, but it could get sticky.

So personal safety aside, is someone willing to gamble the value of their house to save a few bucks by not having their electrical work inspected?

Kal

Cookiebaggs Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I got this from a HBT thread:

Working with electricity is dangerous, you could die or be seriously injured by electricity! If you die you will not be able to brew or consume beer any longer.

Be safe

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer

Cranky Bastard Brewing

Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 74

One thing that I have to stress is don't remove your meter yourself. If you install it incorrectly it can explode.

http://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/147346/Electric_Meter_Explodes.html

Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I replaced my whole box when we purchased our house there were so many piggy-backs and jumpers the house failed the inspections. The condition that needed to be repaired "BEFORE" we could move in. Our electric company is a co-op so was only $50 to remove/install the meter, I removed and upgraded the box (pulled permits of course and had inspections) added $7500.00 to the value of the house.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #30
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1983 View Post
what i have done in the past when i needed line power shut off to the main panel is call the utility company. For a fee they will come out and pull the meter and come back after you have the work inspected (unless an inspection is not required).
+10 pull the meter.

Quick Reply