Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > So whats going on here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default So whats going on here?

I have brewed three times using this RIMS tube. I flush it after each brew but this is the first time I have taken it apart.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Yambor44

Recipes 

Here's a shot after rinsing with a jet of plain water.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Looks like it was run dry and got burnt out to me. Make sure you start recirculating and don't have any airspace before you turn the element on.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Yambor44

Recipes 

If I was a betting man, I would say I did not dry fire it. I recirculated the wort for several minutes each time to insure there was no air locks before turning on the element. A fellow brewer just stopped by and mentioned it looked as though hot break stuck to the element and then scorched. Thoughts? It is just a regular element from Lowes. 1500w, regular density.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

If it wasn't dry fired then I'd concur that some sort of "gunk", whether that be break material or hop leaves, stuck to the element while it was fired. You could soak it in a CLR solution to see if that cleans it up a bit.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Yambor44

Recipes 

Thanks Wyazz. I only use it for mash temps so the hop debris is no concern. I didn't use it today as I was concerned about off flavors.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

After cleaning it, you may want to take it and just suspend it in a bucket of water and turn it on. Leave it run for 30mins or so and then taste the water, just to be sure that nothing is leeching out that may give you an off taste.

Or even better just heat some water up to boiling in a pot on the stove and put it in there for a while. This way you don't electrocute yourself.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

It looks like it was caused by dry firing on the top part of the element. It looks as if the burned part is the top part, the way you have it arranged. This makes me think it could not be particles.

When you start your recirc, before turning on the element, make sure to blast it with the pump valve full open a couple times. If you start your recirc at a trickle, it may not be enough pressure to push out air that may be trapped in the tube.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My main BK element looked the same way after the first brew....which I know for a fact was never dry-fired. I think it's proteins/hop matter that got stuck to it. It comes right off with a light scrubbing. Whatever it is, it seems like it'd be a good idea to keep it from building up because it'll decrease the life of the element. Let's face it....these elements were meant to be used in just water, not 1.060 SG wort.

I'd be interested whether this happens more with the "black" elements vs the stainless/chrome ones. FWIW, mine is a black incoloy "lime-life" element.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

I think that one was a chromed/SS element.

Quick Reply