Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > So control panels are super intimidating.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
grandequeso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Lest we no forget the classic toolbox enclosure or my personal favorite, the ammo box enclosure.

2 pids
3 contactors
2 temp probes
2 three position switches
1 on / off switch
2 ssr.

No lights, no buzzers, no e-stop or pump controls, just the absolute basics. Thats how I build my first control box a couple years ago. I had it in an aluminum enclousure, I never used a heatsink, as I figured the metal box would absorb it. It never got more than just slightly warm. It fit my needs great until a friend talked me into selling it to him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 64

If you decide to do the Kal setup, just buy it prebuilt...trust me from someone making it for 9 months....much better to buy a built and tested unit and probably as cheap as buying the parts yourself.

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0202 View Post
If you decide to do the Kal setup, just buy it prebuilt...trust me from someone making it for 9 months....much better to buy a built and tested unit and probably as cheap as buying the parts yourself.
Can't be that bad, can it? Like I said I'm at about $568.00 right now for a 2-pid, 2-element panel (no timer or 3rd pid, no safe start interlock), and all I have yet to buy is misc wire, wire connectors, and of course build it. That's a lot better than $1700 for parts. I already have a multimeter.

Did you encounter the difficulty during the build and debugging? What kinds of issues did you have?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Does everyone feel that some sort of analog dial or dimmer switch is necessary for the element on the BK? Or does it work equally well to just set the second PID to 198 degrees (boiling temperature, adjusted for my altitude and let it cycle the element? Bump it up one degree in either direction to make the boil more or less intense....

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The timer was $100 all the buttons it added up quick............I don't have the breakdown. I am actually wiring my panel over the next 1 - 2 weeks so I will have more information in a few weeks.

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0202
if you decide to do the kal setup, just buy it prebuilt...trust me from someone making it for 9 months....much better to buy a built and tested unit and probably as cheap as buying the parts yourself.
+1

Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Plus I had to buy tools that I didn't already have to make the panel, and I love tools so I am ok with that...but tools make the cost go up too....Now if you have the tools and work somewhere where you can get a lot of the stuff free or cheap then

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
SookeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Actually to just order the parts collection from theelectricbrewery it will be cheaper than piecing it together yourself. Sorry to say but he's buying the parts in bulk and you won't have multiple shipping costs to pay for. That is of course if you are looking for a system like that.
I disagree - I have priced out my parts, and including shipping, I'm running about half the cost of his kit, with most of the same parts (all the major parts, PIDs, relays, enclosure, etc. are identical).

There are so many places online (especially in the States) that ship for free. Yes, it's a bit of a hassle to source them and wait for 20 different deliveries, but $750 buys a lot of beer ingredients.

I would check it out. It's a great system - I can't wait until mine is built.
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Christmas Ale
Planning: Unicorn IPA

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

How does everyone feel about this; http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/EBC-SV-with-Infinite-Power-Control-158p3986.htm ?

If I have a single-tier, single pump, 3 vessel system then that should be everything I need, right? I know that $500 is a bit pricey for how barebones that panel is, but as long as I'm willing to disconnect and reconnect my elements and probes, then that could run it, yeah?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
SookeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
Identify what features you really want and what your budget is. You don't need a controller at all if you are prepared to hover over a thermometer turning the element on and off. PID control did not exist for the first few thousand years of mashing

As dbcw says, if you go the DIY route you will find that a fancy box costs at least as much as the electronics. Or you could use an old PC case. If you know where to look you can get very serviceable enclosures for nothing as free samples from manufacturers.
I found (through help here) the same enclosure that Kal used in his build on ebay for $100, shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shipping-Date-Nov-17-th-16x16x8-400x400x200-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-ENCLOSURE-W-B-PLATE-/400322382412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3512 ca4c#ht_8446wt_918

It's backordered at the moment so it will take a while to get, but for a nice enclosure I thought that was pretty reasonable.
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Christmas Ale
Planning: Unicorn IPA

Quick Reply