Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Single Tier eHERMS TriClamp (mostly) build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
Why did you decide to hard plumb it?

Looking forward to seeing it finished, I'm a sucker for tri-clamps.
Theres no major reason, as you can probably tell this is a pretty big example of a project that has run away. The thought was:
1. Looks cool.
2. Were soldering fittings so the hard plumbing actually makes it cheaper fitting wise (only need to drill triclamp blanks). We have also access to tubing benders and such.
3. Price, while it is more work I can get 1/2" .035" SS tubing for ~$2.30/ft locally when i factored in shipping to the silicon it was actually more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
That solidworks model looks awesome. If you decided to go with the TC sight glass, what's your plan for that? Are you using the ones from glacier tanks, or whipping something up yourself?
We were going to make them ourselves. Solder in some 1" Ferrules, drill some 1.5" TC blanks and solder in a 90 deg compression fitting. As I said, with the 50L kegs, I'm not sure the limited measuring range of them makes them worth doing. Still undecided, for now were not going to bother soldering the ferrules in for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
dude, that control panel... lookin clean for as much stuff you had in there
Thanks, in general the build has been slow progressing so I've had lots of time to plan that out. That said my biggest mistake was putting the main power on the right, and the breakers on the left (hence all of the 6AWG wire jammed at the top), I really should have bought the bus bars you can get for those breakers (and probably just stuck with 2 elements like a sane person).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thought I'd post two of the smaller items I recently completed.

22mm RGB Pilot Lights:
As I am using the BrewTroller, there is an addon board (RGBIO8) that supports wiring of auto/manual switches and will drive RGB (multicolor) LED's so that 1 LED can display any number of colors to indicate staus (ie. Red=off, green = manual on, blue = auto on, yellow = auto off, or whatever you choose). As you don't seem to be able to buy 22mm RGB pilot lights I decided to make some.

Picked up some standard 22mm White Pilot Lights off ebay and ripped out the guts. Sanded the end with some emery cloth to better diffuse the light (works pretty well). I then soldered them to some pin headers to provide a connector, glued the pin header and LED into the gutted pilot light. It was pretty tedious but they turned out pretty well.

DIY DS18B20 Temp Probes:

Picked up some 1/4" .020" SS tubing to use to make some temp probes and tubing for the volume sensors. Cut them and had the ends TIG welded shut. I bored out some TC end caps and silver soldered the tubing into it. The brewtroller guys recommend (along with the OEM) that for longer runs/noisy environments you add a RC filter at the probe. I then soldered a resistor and surface mount capacitor at the end of the probe (most painful part by far, not the best soldering in the pic but by this time I had lost most of my patience). I then soldered the probe to some 3 conductor wire added some heat-sink compound in the probe end and inserted the assembly. I crimped the tubing down on the cable, and used some adhesive heat shrink to seal it all up. Pretty happy with how they turned out as well.

img_0890.jpg   img_0889.jpg   img_0891.jpg   img_0881.jpg   img_0882.jpg  

Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Hogcrewer
Recipes 

Default Temp Probes

You made your own temp probes?.......Hhhhmmmmm now that has me thinking....did you flare the end before you welded/soldered it to the TC end cap?
I know your going the Adrno route.....Will these also work with PID's?

Going to be dropping you a PM.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogcrewer View Post
You made your own temp probes?.......Hhhhmmmmm now that has me thinking....did you flare the end before you welded/soldered it to the TC end cap?
I know your going the Adrno route.....Will these also work with PID's?

Going to be dropping you a PM.
No, I didn't flare it. I had a 1/4" hole drilled out in the center of the end cap, also had a small fillet put on the wet side of the end cap (to make soldering a bit easier), and soldered on this side. It appears to be plenty secure, I haven't used them to brew yet but I have leak tested them by connecting to a garden hose (which should be more pressure then they will ever see)

These particular sensors wouldn't work as I'm using the DS18B20 sensor chip, you could do the same thing and insert a PT100 RTD element though which you could then use with a PID. RTD sensors are much more available though, so you may be better off buying vs making.

IE: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-Te...item3a79cc4bf2

I still have some more cleaning/polishing to do in the attached pic, but you get the idea.
img_0897.jpg  

Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here's a pic of my control panel model so far (still a work in progress).

control-panel-render.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #16
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What r all the lights for under the hlt and kettle btpd's?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland View Post
What r all the lights for under the hlt and kettle btpd's?
The white lights are RGB LED's that will be tied to the 3pos switches below them (red= off, green of on, blue = auto on, etc). The two switches on the bottom far sides are likely going to be control for the exhaust fan and the one on the left may be a water supply motorized ball valve (for auto-filling) still undecided on that one tho

The yellow led's are 240V fed directly off the output to the elements, as a final indication as to what elements are being fired.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A few more pics of a little bit of progress. Also in process of getting the control panel water jet cut, got everything else for it so I should have that finished soon.

dsc01662.jpg   dsc01664.jpg   dsc01666.jpg  

Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #19
DrPhilGood
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is that a trub filter on the bottom of the keggle? I wonder if it will clog like that.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilGood View Post
Is that a trub filter on the bottom of the keggle? I wonder if it will clog like that.

Yes, it's the Brewers hardware one.

Perhaps, results seem mixed. Also considering adding a false bottom to BK to provide some extra filtration, time will tell though. When you say "clog like that" where were you thinking it would be placed?

Quick Reply